Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Talk/gmail+chat behaviour

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 14, 2007
17 years ago2,739 views

Does anyone know how many emails back and forth it takes – assuming chat with them is not blocked at either end – before someone appears as a potentially online contact in Google Talk or Gmail? I'm curious because some Gmailers I think I've emailed a fair bit haven't yet shown up, whereas others I've only sent only one email to are there.

Presumably there's a minimum formula, but I wonder what it is.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No.. it should be instant... btw.. the user on the other end has to be "signed into Chat".. before for you to see the green flag for chat..btw make sure you have the correct flags set under contacts " Show in Quick Contacts?".. I have mine set to AUTO..

17 years ago #

Thanks /pd. I didn't know it could be instant; I had noticed some delay. I keep mine to AUTO too. Presumably if someone hasn't always been signed into chat, and if you have previously exchanged emails, and if they later sign in, the green flags will then appear at both ends?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah once they are log into gmail w/chat enabled..you should be able to see them.. I have users..that I have never even sent an email too.. or even they have not sent my an email rather, they were the sender to a listerserver.. and they still pop up in my contact list , as I am on the membership of the listserver

17 years ago #

That's good to know; thank you...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!