Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Apps for Your Domain Wishlist

The Digital Yogi [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, March 20, 2007
17 years ago3,270 views

Hi all,
in case we're being monitored, wouldn't it be useful to integrate Google Groups into Google Apps for Your Domain, enabling us to create multiple groups accessible only to domain users?

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

yes it would

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah, and jotspot would be good too

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

indeed

another thing adding mailmerge: combination of gmail, writely & google contacts...

17 years ago #

Ooh yes.

And also a way to have multiple users logging in and interactively working with a single email inbox. All the pieces are in place. Say you have an email address help[put at-character here]mydomain.org, and you want several colleagues to be able to use it. What you *really* want is for all the replies to appear to the sender to come from help[put at-character here]; internally you want Gmail's conversation view to show which colleague has responded to which particular email. You could also have several users editing the same email, as with Docs and Spreadsheets. THAT would be nice.

I kind of half-wonder whether Google uses something like this internally; after all, it would help them when replying to emails at X-support[put at-character here]google.com.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< another thing adding mailmerge: combination of gmail, writely & google contacts... >>

Hmmm. It would be difficult to tell the difference between spam and genuine mailing lists. I think they should only allow mass emailing from people who verify their address (by requesting a PIN) or pay for something using a credit card. Maybe it's a feature for the Premium edition so they know who's doing it.

<< And also a way to have multiple users logging in and interactively working with a single email inbox. >>

I was thinking what the company I worked for would require – and that's one of them. (Although currently, it's just achieved by several users sharing an Exchange mailbox, so you can't really audit trail the replies.)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Apps for Domain..

=> gmail
=> Doc&SS
=> Calendar (intergrate a to-do and view schedule thru gmail)
=> Groups
=> Pages
=> Blogger
=> Picaso
=> Gtalk
=> Reader
=> Gdrive
=> Google Desktop

All the above is defaulted when you setup a user and it also should be rolled into something under a JotSpot landing page where the superuser of the domian can extend the service folio for a user.

e.g. If I were in Project, I would have the PM module flagged when I create the users Profile..

This would be something that will compete with any office suite .. and has the complete suite of services for any office employee and easy for enterprise collobrative efforts..!!

..what am I missing ??

17 years ago #

Nah, I think that's it. Is it too much to ask? :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh well, if they dont play hardball, then how will they compete against the likes of enteprise s/w suites eh ?

17 years ago #

I agree!

17 years ago #

Thinking about it, the options are kind of limitless. But hey, Google doesn’t really do limits.

Presently will obviously be good, if you like and use presentations (I hate them). But I think that a hosted database/client management system is pretty important. And some kind of invoice-tracking/finance thing. I don’t use these programs so I don’t know what they’re called. Also very important is native support for integration between a database – stored simply as a Google Spreadsheet? – and Calendar, so that projects timetabled in a database automagically populate employees' calendars.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think this "Apps" thing will go full circle. They'll steadily introduce all their products into the range, such as Groups. But then, I think they'll eventually bring out a "personal edition", which allows you to use another e-mail address... and is essentially Google Apps without the "Domain".

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What is really the mayor difference between Docs/Pages and a Wiki like Jotspot? Somehow I think these will be integrated into one service.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!