Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Desktop link on Google IG

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 22, 2007
17 years ago2,424 views

Did Google just add a Desktop link above the search bar on IG? Or was it always there for other people; is it just me?

I happened to have an IG tab open from earlier in the day, and opened a new one now. They're different. The old one has:

Web Images Video News Maps More>>

The new one, opened a couple of hours later, has:

Web Images Video News Maps Desktop More>>

17 years ago #

I beg your pardon. I see that other people had it anyway.
Why would I have it without one time and with another?
PS it's a bit prettier without, since the links fit above the search bar without stretching out on either side.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I believe it will appear only if you have Google Desktop installed on that computer. So if you just installed GD, you will see that link there.

17 years ago #

It's odd, isn't it? I had it installed throughout. Here's the weird thing. I reload the page; sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Now it's appearing; five minutes ago it wasn't.

17 years ago #

This holds true for Classic Home too. If it's not there on IG, it's not there on Classic when I switch. When it comes back, it's there on both. Totally befuddling. I'm feeling dizzy.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah, it does seem to be unstable on the one machine I've got it installed on as well. Link's there sometimes but not always. I think it's easy enough to double-click on the taskbar icon that it hasn't bothered me. But I'm pretty sure it's not a page design change, just some quirky behavior.

17 years ago #

Bizarrely (sorry), it seems to change when I'm not looking. I go back to the open IG tab a little later on and find the Desktop tab gone again. I refresh it, and it comes back, and stays back, for the time being.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!