Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Apps?

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

Monday, April 2, 2007
17 years ago3,497 views

I'm about to buy a domain so as to create email addresses for my family member like firstname[put at-character here]familyname.com
Is there anyone using Google Apss on a regular basis in those forums? Is it good? Is it worthwhile to upgrade to Premier for personal use?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Although I don't use Google Apps as my primary email application, I do use it occasionally. It's (almost) the same as Gmail, so if you're happy with that, go for it. Of course, you could always take advantage of the POP3 access and use whatever client you like.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade to Premier for personal use, not unless you really need to store more than 2GB of emails online. The additional space (and 99.9% uptime) is the only real benefit for home users I'd say, unless your family members really want 24/7 phone support from Google rather than you!

Where are you buying your domain? Through Google?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< ... and 99.9% uptime ... >>

BTW, I think there have been some downtime reports recently, which apparently means you get a refund (I'm not sure though) so don't assume this feature will actually mean you get better reliability...

Lubsyb [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This applies to Gmail, so I would assume it would apply to Apps too: Even when Gmail is experiencing downtime, you can access your mail through POP. So that's one more reason to not go premier probably.

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

I have both a gmail and a google apps account.
I use the google apps account as my primary email account.
I've bought the domain and then point it to google's mxs servers.
I dont recomend the upgrade for the same reasons of Tony.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

I see thanks for you comments. I don't know yet where i'm gonna buy the domain, i just saw that it was available.
I guess i'll see what they have to offer later when Presently and Jotspot go out and when everything gets integrated.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I just set my family up with new Google accounts and then forward their name[put at-character here]familyname.com email address to the gmail account. That way they all have access to Gmail, Docs & Spreadsheets, Calendar etc but they can keep their familyname.com email addresses. Gmail can even use the correct reply to address when forwarding emails to it.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have a site on my familyname.com address so my hosting provider allows me to forward unlimited email addresses. If you don't have a hosting account that won't work.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have the same setup with my domain name. I get it all forwarded to my regular account and I am happy. How much more reliable can premier actually be? Its not like Google has been so derelict in providing reliable gmail uptime (seriously, who cares that it goes down for 5 minutes every two months or so?).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!