Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Talk Web Version Improvements  (View post)

paul [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, April 4, 2007
17 years ago5,244 views

hmmmmm,

i wish they were spending their "free" time working @ the
desktop version instead.. how many online versions now
then 3? wtf?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I can paste into Flash-based Google Talk under Linux...
But Polish chars (and possibly other international chars) still doesn't work. That's a deal breaker for an international audience.
And of course firefox's sidebar is still a best way to use this product.

webprograma [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You can add to bookmarks and trough bookmark manager check "Load this bookmark in the sidebar" in properties window

Happy surf and chat! :)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> And of course firefox's sidebar is still the best way to use this product.

I heven't seen that they added instruction for this in their blog post. Neat!

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<
I heven't seen that they added instruction for this in their blog post. Neat! >>

Me neither, I think it's ideal. It uses the free browsing space, especially when using a widescreen monitor.

Fritz Harasin [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I was always hoping their iG gadget would look like the gmail implementation. unintrusive (in gmail, talk isn't visible), but with a gmail style popup if someone contacts you (and a status manager, where you can say if you wish to appear available if you are on your iG page). To start a chat, one could always go through gmail. Basically, i wanted to be available more often on chat.

Now, with http://talkgadget.google.com/talkgadget/popout i can load the talk gadget whenever i start a firefox session into the all-in-one sidebar extension multipanel (which remembers the last side loaded on startup, and i never used the multipanel for anything else). So i am available on chat whenever i surf, with little loss of screen real estate.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its strange that there is a option to actually talk, even though the client doesn't support it, as far as I can tell. I tried with two of the web interfaces open and it stays grayed out.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Am i the only one who cant see any contacts online (I'm waiting for more than 20 minutes now) even though i do have online contacts online on the client?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Its strange that there is a option to actually talk, even though the client doesn't support it>>

It's just a shortcut for the desktop version (googletalk.exe) in case you do have it.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But why would you have both of the clients open at the same time?

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

More steps closer to the online desktop... hopefully this gadget will be integrated more tightly with Gmail. I think that integration is the key really here for Google.

They've certainly got the users using their search, when there is a large amount of integration users won't need to leave the 'Google environment', like Microsoft has in the desktop market.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!