Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Google Takeover

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, April 7, 2007
17 years ago2,443 views

Google has been giving us little new things here and there but i'm waiting for something big. If they were to release a bunch of new services all at the same time, i think competition would be hit hard. I'd like to see Orkut 2.0, JotSpot, and GDrive (maybe). What about you?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

By the time Google are ready to unveil the "next big thing", I'll be bored of "remote storage", i won't need a "wiki", and i certainly won't be using the web for "social networking".

So, I want to see Google applied to other media. TV. Games. They should be the company the no one sees... but we all know they're "doing there thing".

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google is getting into TV, and Games, and Radio, they even tried print...right?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

With ads, yes. But what about on-demand TV deals with the likes of Sky and Virgin Media? Personalized TV service at your fingertips, etc.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd like to see them take full advantage of the technologies they acquired through NevenVision!

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mambo: Isn't that venturing a bit far from their core business? If Google really took the plunge in that field, they'd need contracts/deals with media companies, build the infrastructure to handle it, etc. It couldn't be a small, part-time Labs project.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<they'd need contracts/deals with media companies>>
They have for YouTube though haven't they? Well I know BBC did some deal thingy with Google to place their content on YouTube.

Not sure why they needed to do a deal, I assume it's that BBC are not allowed to show ads and so that the clips don't get deleted because they are copyrighted!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh and on top of everything- make all storage infinite ;)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Isn't that venturing a bit far from their core business? >>

Not at all. I think starting a non-personalized ad business is stupid (which is what they're doing right now). They need to start from the ground and work up. To do that, they need a platform to base the advertising on. For example, Google Ads wouldn't exactly work without their search engine, would they?

They need a personalized TV service that tracks all watchings, listens and recordings, that plays back the adverts. Simple, really. But there's no point bring out their "own" tv service. People in the UK for instance either use Sky or Virgin, and leveraging both those companies shouldn't be too hard.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ah! And how could i forget about MeasureMap? We've all been waiting for that for too long.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would love to see Google do what they did with Gmail but for the cell phone industry. Cell phone companies charge so much for minutes and data transfer. It would be great if Google got into the market and made things like unlimited minutes and cheaper data plans. Why should a cell phone cost me 100 dollars a month for 500 minutes and an unlimited data plan that is still slower than my cable modem at home?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I really want MeasureMap too!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Colin C.

Have you seen the OpenMoko Project??
http://openmoko.com/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!