Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube Thailand Censorship  (View post)

Patrick [PersonRank 0]

Monday, April 9, 2007
17 years ago6,828 views

Better getting three pages blocked than the whole site. Thailand is too small and obviously not the big moneybringer, so a customized search-engine like that for China is no option.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A little bit evil. Like the china thing

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

The slide down the slippery slope of censorship continues.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No censorship here. YouTube did the best it could to prevent the ban. They told Thai's government there's a search box at the top of the page that could be used to locate the offensive videos.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> No censorship here. YouTube did the best it
> could to prevent the ban.

So, when a country wants to pressure a website into doing what they request, they just need to ban it for a day or two. Then, everything the website will do will be "the best they can" to prevent the ban? IMO, these are just politics... power games. YouTube can either "withdraw on principle" or compromise. The more compromises are made, the more "camels enter the tent" (other countries demanding their regulations to be fulfilled). However, I'll repeat that I don't think YouTube ever promised to stand in to be a defender of people's videos, or to deliver an objective free-speech video site (or did they?). People might just leave to other video sites if they want to circumvent bans... YouTube due to its size seems to be getting the most heat at the moment.

youtube proxy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

access youtube from anywhere with youtube proxy:

youtubeproxy.org

[Link unlinked – Tony]

Nichalia Schwartz [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Okay, but people in Thailand cannot upload any videos!! This is such a hassle!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMiSC7PsKY

I'm Thai. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Just respect the others and respect the different culture.That's the way we can live happily in this world.Economy is not eveything.It's just "discord"

Me [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

u don't understand anything... it's not an evil action

elite thai [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

the government is still adjusting. yes i do admit the Royal Thai Police can be a bit 'tarded by blocking the entire site instead of a page. but comon we just had a coup.. The thais respect their king. and they feel that such negative exposure would gain momentum. No real thai national would even listen to any negative comments about HRM (his royal majesty). but some dummy somewhere would actually believe it. . they believe anything they see.. The dumb ass who posted that obviously lived in a box his..or her life. Insulting the king of thailand is like insulting my dad. I wont put up with it. well im off to google video.

I'm thai too [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Censorship is everywhere starting from home. You don't want to expose your children to the real-world contents.. Does it violate children's human rights ? You human right dufouses are applying your own standard to other cultures. In the U.S., you see what happenned to Imus ? Shouldn't he be protected by the right of free speech ?

Democracy and constitution are to U.S. citizens as the thai monarch and traditional laws are to thai people. I swear if some idiots put in a propaganda clip that undermine the U.S. constitution, it would be yanked out in no time... U.S. communist party members were arrested back during the cold war ? When it comes to national security, there is no human right?

Anyway, I just want youtube back so that I enjoy watching some instructional dance clips... It's meant for fun. Not for expressing hate, anger, political viewpoint, etc... Otherwise, sooner or later, there will be some local thai sites that do so. Business opportunity has just opened..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Censorship is everywhere starting from home. You
> don't want to expose your children to the
> real-world contents..

Yes, there is censorship everywhere. But let's not confuse *child safety locks* with bans that apply to *adults too*. You can separate the two things by introducing protections that adults (who don't like other adults telling them what they may or may not watch, read, or listen to) can turn off.

This me [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I hate my country right now because i can't use youtube.com anymore!!!
i want to move to another country where they had enought reason!!
I got one profile on youtube.com and over there lots of hot vdo of boy lover boy (gay) but for now it suck!!! can't not go to my page and open vdo anymore Cry Cry Cry

:(

This me again !! [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The frist time i know they blocked youtube.com that my heart it go donwwwwwwwwww i really want to die and i almost do it (just had a good friend here stop me!!!

I need youtube back!!! give me back youtube.com!!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!