Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google adds option to buy renewable energy donation card to some Checkout sites.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Monday, April 23, 2007
17 years ago2,603 views

On Friday April 20th, Google posted a message on their Google Checkout Blog that informed Google Checkout users that they can soon purchase Wind Power Cards. The cards are essentially donations to Renewable Choice Energy company which is trying to get wind power to be 20% of all energy used in the United States.

"By purchasing a Wind Power Card, you can ensure that energy you and your family use is replaced by environmentally friendly wind power.

The Wind Power Card contains wind energy credits generated by wind farms. People buy the card to guarantee the electricity they use at home (which often comes from coal and gas) is replaced with clean, carbon-free electricity. Most importantly, buyers help grow a system that gives renewable energy developers an incentive to build more wind farms."

http://googlecheckout.blogspot.com/2007/04/powering-renewable-energy.html

I'm all for renewable energy but I don't think I want to have to pay my power bill twice. Once for the power I actually use and the second being a donation to promote Wind Power usage and the creation of more wind farms.

Jason K. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I checked this out and I don't think you quite get it.
It is not a donation. Electricity is a collective thing. When anyone, a business, or a family or an individual wants to be "carbon neutral" they have to pay the premium for rewnewable energy, which is more expensive. The card allows individuals to easily buy that premium. Because electricity in homes and offices, unlike gas in our car, is off the collective grid you can't ensure your own is renewable (unless you are powering off of solar righ at your home). What can you do is pay the premium so that more renewable juice is added to the grid.
Being "green" costs more. You are just paying the difference to someone else.

Thomas Mattsen [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Spend your money on things that count. Not chocolate or stuff like that, things you don't need. I would be happy helping wind energy grow and save our envioronment for the generations to come. Its not expensive if you don't spend in other areas where you don't need to.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!