Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Impossible Riddle

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Friday, April 27, 2007
17 years ago4,766 views

How much Windows code could a Windows coder code if a Windows coder could code Windows?

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

closed source :P

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A Windows coder would code all he could if a Windows coder could code?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

50 million lines of Code?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I culled the vista crap fest ..

http://peterdawson.typepad.com/blog/2006/11/vista_crapfest.html

follow the linkys... :)-

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But why Windows? What about coders from smaller companies? Like, I don't know, Code Corporation (http://www.codecorp.com/)? Code Corp "code designs, develops and manufactures image-based readers, portable data terminals, and software tools for data collection applications.". Their main product is coled
GoCode.

So....

How much goCode code could a Code coder code if a Code coder could code goCode?

17 years ago #

That's maybe not a Microsoft-joke, but sounds much better ;)

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

How much goCode from CodeCorp could a Code coder from CodeCorp code if a Code coder from CodeCorp could code goCode from CodeCorp?

Is that stretching it too far? :)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Are there any other OS's that aren't Windows, OSX or Linux's, i mean ones that are closed source like Windoows by people who want a profit.

17 years ago #

unix :P

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

unix is closed-source?

17 years ago #

No I mean REAL Operating systems. Like for home users. Grannys. Another serious contender for Windows apart from Linux

17 years ago #

dpic, nah i dunno im just naming the only other one i know lol

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OS/2 Warp was a contender but I think they stopped development a couple of years ago.

I also heard recently that Amiga are still making PCs with their own OS on them:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/amiga-announcing-two-pcs-next-week-254851.php

17 years ago #

> No I mean REAL Operating systems. Like for home users.

Still Unix ;) BSD runs the same desktop environments Linux does.

Brack Thompson [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

> No I mean REAL Operating systems.

Unix is pretty real. I've used it before, and I'm not one to lie. And the answer to your question is just about no. M$ almost has a monopoly the OS market. Now, I'm sure other operating systems may exist, but good luck finding one that is simple enough for a granny to use it.

17 years ago #

> but good luck finding one that
> is simple enough for a granny to use it.

Linux is perfectly good for grannies to use. And I say this as an network administrator in school that all computers (both computers used by kids and computers used by employees and school administration) are running Linux. Linux may be sometimes a little harder to configure (thought not always, depends on your hardware and software configuration), but than for everyday use it's not harder to use than Windows in any sense. It may be even consider as easier to use, because there are now danger of viruses and spyware, which are the nightmare of less experienced users.
It may be not suitable for some power users who need some particular Windows software for their job (like video editing). But i truly believe that Linux is the best choice for "grannies", that is normal users who doesn't now much about computers and want to just browse the net, use e-mail, IM, watch DVDs, write text, and use other standard futures. They work perfectly well, and also on older, cheaper hardware, are completely free and you don't have to think about viruses, spyware and adware. If my granndmother wanted a computer I would give her a Linux box, no doubt about it.

17 years ago #

Should be "because there are no danger of viruses and spyware [under Linux]" and definitely not "because there are now danger of viruses and spyware [under Linux]" :>

17 years ago #

Instaling programs can be confusing to a first time linux user

17 years ago #

> Instaling programs can be confusing to a first time linux user

Installing programs under Linux can be confusing for Windows users. I strongly believe that installing programs using Linux packaging systems is much more intuitive. For example under Ubuntu you just open "Add/Remove software...", provide program's name (or browse programs list by category) and click "Install". That's it. Done. Alternatively you can download package from the project's website. Then you just doubleclick it and click "Install" on the standard dialog, which provides you with program's name and description. Done.
Process of installation using package/package manager always looks exactly the same. Under Windows, on the other hand, every programs have its own installer, with its own interface and installation process, that usually reacquires much more steps. One can't just learn one and for all how to install software.

And after couple of years of using Linux the notion that you can't just provide system with program's name and have this program immediately installed seems ridiculous to me. People tolerate this in Windows only because they don't know anything else. But for new people, that doesn't have much experience with Windows, Linux software installation is a clear win.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!