Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Facebook.com

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 21, 2007
17 years ago5,170 views

Are any of you on Facebook ?
And don't you think it would be a great addition to Google's portfolio of services ?
I really wonder if Niniane's project will match up and blow all other social services.
Provided the amount of time they have worked on it, it should be something huge.The more we wait for it, the better (obviously) it will be.
More generally, should Google "release early, release often" or wait until the product just blows erery competitor away with something that stands up ?

(Eg: Picasa Web Gal' vs Gmail)

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like the "Shock and Awe" (Gmail) approach better.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I dunno...i'm getting pretty impatient

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

I love Facebook!
But they've already turned down offers from Yahoo and Google havn't they?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm on Facebook! Add me as a friend "Sam Davyson".

I am not sure it is wise for Google to continue to work on any such project. I think they have to realise that people do not like change. Gmail is undoubtedly better than Hotmail... but Hotmail is still much more popular – no one wants to switch. Facebook is the only social network for students. I cant see how they can top it.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I just registered on Facebook recently as a few friends kept sending me invites. Search for my name – "Tony Ruscoe" – and add me if you like.

From what I've seen Facebook is much better that Orkut and *infinitely* better than MySpace. I find it hard to believe that Google will be able to come up with something more popular than this – even though they could easily develop something much better if they wanted to – so perhaps they could benefit from buying it (providing they didn't then neglect it, of course).

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< I just registered on Facebook recently as a few friends kept sending me invites. >>

Tell me about it!! I can't believe how much buzz Facebook is generating in the UK. E-mail invitations are so forceful!

I would register, but you have to be 18.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hmmmph! Mambo, nobody listens to those rules. What age are you?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What really bugs me is the way they make it appear to be mandatory that you must enter your Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo Mail username and password so that they can spam your entire address book. Just because I have someone in my contacts doesn't mean I want to be their friend on Facebook! (I'm thinking dentists, electricians, plumbers, etc.)

And why would I want to enter my Google Account username / password on a website owned by another company?

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Joe, 1 or 2 years donĀ“t matter... ;)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You don't have to be 18...facebook is open to high school networks, in fact- before it opened up to the public you either had to be in a high school or college to sign up!

Danny Pickle- add me :)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Orkut says you have to be 18 as well, but who really cares about those TOS-es.

Search "Haochi" if you would like to add me, my last name is ... CHEN. :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I recently unsubscribed from the busiest German social network (OpenBC, now Xing)... I just don't want to make a weekly decision of who to add or not add. It seems so unnecessary, after all people can already contact each other via email, so this layer seems to add some noise...

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Add me.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Uh, what is Niniane's project?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!