Memorial Day logos

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 28, 2007
17 years ago4,869 views

Ask is the only one with one.

http://www.ask.com

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its not really a real holiday though, nobody really cares outside America and the US doesn't have a "local" Google site.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]James Xuan: I think you mean... "world holiday" vice "real holiday." That's slightly offensive if you used to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.

17 years ago #

Its not a holiday IMO. Its a, as the name suggests memorial. The day you remember. I'm not saying it should be forgotten, quite the contrary, I'm justt saying it shouldn't be classed as a holiday.

And @pacificdave

The only American I want to be offensive towards is Georgie-boy.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I was always slightly mortified with how people behave when I lived in the US. In my opinion, behavior on memorial day should be dictated by how the families who lost a father or son behave. If they have a nice picnic, then so be it. I know that in Israel, everyone flocks towards ceremonies and to cemeteries and it is one of the nicest days of the year. Makes you forget how selfish and self-serving people can be and replaces it with a feeling of the entire country being a tight-knit community.

17 years ago #

I agree Eytan. A lot of Americans are pigs. BTW is your name pronounced ee-tahn

17 years ago #

James, I think you might want to re-phrase that last statement.

17 years ago #

I didn't say Americans are pigs – I am an American. I was just saying that certain habits may be a little misguided.

17 years ago #

No Brinkie I would not like to rephrase or retract my last statement. I presume you are American though having never met you I can not classify you as a pig. In my time spent living in Florida a good 50% of the people I met were either vulgar, rude or had absolutely no manners. I'm sorry I picked Eytans post up incorrectly but my statement still stands. I am totally against branding everyone with the same brush and would appreciate it im my comment above was not removed. Like wise i could have said a lot of Japaneese or pigs(which they are(probably myself included)) but since this thread was about americans I simply stated my views.

17 years ago #

As far as I see it, sweeping stereotypes of any kind are incorrect. But to each their own, eh? And my name is pronounced A-ton...although it doesn't reflect my weight, okay? :)

17 years ago #

Saying "a lot of Americans are pigs" has nothing to do with this thread, which was simply about a logo. Since people are people wherever you are, I could make such a sweeping statement about Europeans or Asians should I choose to, but I do not. Your comment is inappropriate and rude given the context of this thread and forum. I am stating MY view.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Being a German, I can definitely confirm that some Germans are stupid :)
It's logically impossible for me to tell if that includes me (because I am German, and hence if I'd be stupid I might make a stupid error measuring my own stupidity). I can furthermore confirm that some pigs* are German.

While we're on the subject of prejudices...
http://blogoscoped.com/prejudice/

*According to http://www.goveg.com/f-hiddenlivespigs.asp <<In fact, pigs are curious and insightful animals thought to have intelligence beyond that of an average 3-year-old human child. They are smarter than dogs and every bit as friendly, loyal, and affectionate. When in their natural surroundings, not on factory farms, they are social, playful, protective animals who bond with each other, make beds, relax in the sun, and cool off in the mud.>>

17 years ago #

OK, so I am a pig!!! except for, ah, the mud part.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp: Nice twist on the direction that this thread was going... :-P

17 years ago #

You really are the webMASTER, Philip. Well played.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I spent some time in a military cemetery this Memorial Day. It was wonderful to see a huge line outside the cemetery of people waiting to drive into the cemetery. This day is a great day to remember anyone who fought in a war or spent time in the Military. It can be a thankless job at times but a most important one to a country.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

little green footballs has picked up on this and posted several Google doodles...

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=25682_Helping_Google_Create_a_Memorial_Day_Logo&only

very odd that Google would ignore this important date in the U.S. calendar.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Its not really a real holiday though, nobody really cares outside America"

hey, i care. and i'm in the UK. i'll never forget the sacrifices the Americans made at Omaha Beach – i dont think any British person ever will.

17 years ago #

those logos on LGF are great. Definate front-door quality. I like #2 especially. Just goes to show, as good as Hwang has been- anyone can come up with these.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!