Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google WHOIS data hacked?

bdemen [PersonRank 1]

Friday, June 15, 2007
17 years ago3,051 views

I was testing my new network settings with a quick WHOIS lookup, on google.com of course, and found that their WHOIS data was obviously spammed/hijacked. Not sure if this is their problem, but it looks like a problem to me :)

Here is the WHOIS lookup service link: http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=google&tld=com

Warning- potentially objectionable content in link!

What do you guys think?

Ben D

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Not hacked, it's just whois.net which does a search in all domain names but also in all subdomain known, so.... stupid whois.net

PS : I haven't to click on your link to know what you're talking about :-P

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.markmonitor.com/cgi-bin/affsearch.cgi?dn=google.com&partner=yes
Looks good.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This gets raised every couple of months. *sigh* why must whois.net be so different to every other whois service.

Note the different TLDs and the fact that Google.com is a subdomain. An example:

SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM is the domain, GOOGLE.COM.ZZZZZ.GET.LAID.AT.WWW. are infact subdomains of the domain.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just a small little problem with whois.net
they scan subdomains also with the string provided
Try any big name there like microsoft or apple

& they are not good at that too, they do not scan ALL the subdomains with that string. They show just a few of them]

It would have became a good tool to search your name in any subdomain across the global databases ;)

bdemen [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

OK, thanks for clarifying!

[put at-character here]Martin Porcheron- I did a forum search to check for this issue beforehand...

Ben D

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's alright, It might not have been mentioned on this forum specifically. I definitely remember seeing it elsewhere though (It's been on Digg before)

IT Consultant [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I was in the

i know it's vandalism and it's a menace etc, and if it happened to me i'd be really pissed off, but i love it

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!