Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft ups storage, Gmail now behind :(

Danny [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, August 14, 2007
16 years ago4,169 views

Hi all,
Just saw that Microsoft started offering free 5 gigabyte accounts, now gmail is behind all of the main email providers :(
Take a look at this picture: http://smith.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/infinity.gif

Now google is the lowest..

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/hotmail_updates_windows_live_wave_2_suite.php

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Who cares?
When you still have enough space to store all your mails, same ID to access many other useful sites YOU want.

My gmail still says "You are currently using 38% of your....." & i'm happy with it.

I have seen some providers giving 1TB space & some claiming unlimited space, but the services sucks.

So I'm happy with my gmail :)

Danny [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I am now at 71%, also my Mom, who we convinced to use Gmail got over the limit and had to forward emails to other accounts so she didn't have to change address's..
Another friend of mine is thinking of other email providers because she also maxed out gmail.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I haven't come close to maxing out-- but it seam feasible that i could in not too far from now. I just paid for one of those shared storage plans. I would really like more space at no cost. Space shouldn't cost to much...

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

u said 5GB ? Isn't Gmail starting to offer 9GB now?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

No. They gave it out for free by " mistake ".

And i'm happy with my Gmail. Live Mail, Yahoo Mail sucks ass
Plus, don't forget who gave them the idea on the first place ;)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yup, when Gmail came out, my Hotmail account which I used back then had 200 KB. "Where were you back when I NEEDED you Hotmail! Now you come knock on my door and make promises, but life has changed..." ;)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

LQTM... No actually Im ROTFLMFAO!

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Don't get me wrong, I like Gmail and Google as much as the next guy...but when Gmail launched at 2GB and non-Google fanboys said they didn't need that much anyways, they were shouted down. Seems like the coin has now flipped; all the comments here say that no one needs more than 2GBs. You know that one day this isn't going to be true...As long as the front page of Gmail says "you'll never have to delete an email again", they better be able to back that up.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I for one definitely need more than 2 GB. I had to delete a lot in the past, and not just spam, to keep up with 2 GB...
However I think with the $75 plan from Google I'd probably be happy for some years.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If you spend your entire working day reading emails (say 52 weeks per year, 40 hours per week), and you read at 100 words per minute where each word averages 8 characters, you would read just under 100 Megabytes per year.

So 2GB is plenty for direct text communication for 20 years or more. But of course we also send graphics, formatted documents, media files, and large documents of which we read only a small part. For that kind of usage, 2GB is quite inadequate.

But suppose our docs and spreadsheets move to Google Docs & Spreadsheets, suppose our photos move to Picasa Web, suppose our media files move to a future Picasa Media. Then, we're back to exchanging text and links, and 2GB is plenty again.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm "only" at 4% of my 2GB, and I'd use Gmail over Hotmail any day because Gmail has the best Spam filter out there (although I did have a few slip into my Inbox over the weekend, other than that it's been great)

So I personally don't (currently) need a giant amount of space avalible to me.

KevinS [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Pack rats... Anytime someone has a hard time working wtih 2GB of space for e-mails, we have a clear case of a pack rat. When people are amazed at larger storage limits, I think you just have fallen for the marketing. Your the type that thinks keeping a silly video of a cat chasing a laser on the floor is something that needs to be archived forever. As long as there are the pack rats who have yet to discover the delete button, there will be places offering more space.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

‏‎[put at-character here]‎Eytan
And you know that one day Gmail will get much more than 2.8 GB. Gmail's storage gets updating ALL the time (and you can actually see it) , while other email providers update their storage when they think it's needed or whenever the competitor offers more. If you're talking about storage, storage costs money, but Microsoft can afford it (so is Google but i think it's pointless for now. If you disagree, pay the 20$ :P)

[put at-character here]Kevin
I think the archive button is very important cause you may never know when you'll be needing that cat video. I think every email is important, and hey, if you get this amount for free, why not take advantage of it? :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wouldn't necessarily agree with your first statement David. The thing is people have fallen for the unlimited storage gimmick by Google (which I admit was a good one), but the truth is the "updating" of the storage is painfully slow and I doubt it would reach that 9 GB anytime soon.

Anyway you're right, if you get this for free, why not use it? :)

For me personally 2.8 GB is more than enough for now...but I doubt I'll be saying the same thing in a year or so...

We'll see.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The important thing about GMail is the platform. They used the 1GB thingy to make us want one account on their servers, because (remember!) hotmail was only 2MB, or amazing 20 MB in some places. Then Yahoo started offering 1GB too, and now everybody gives you gigabytes of storage. But what really makes the difference is how GMail works. Labels, archive, filters, spam filter, accounts, ease, and the GUI. Yahoo mail looks a bit like Outlook. Live mail is like Outlook too.
I'll stick with GMail because of that. But if I move, I'll go back to Yahoo. And they have a third party online tool to import mails from other accounts (GMail included!).

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't use Google's stuffs for space, I use them because they rock!!! But unfortuantely after launching the plans of Shared Storage, Google might not be able to change their space allocation idea. Reason?
Suppose some one needs 6GB space, so he has bought it yesterday. Tomorrow Gmail starts to give 6GB for free and 12GB for 6GB price. The guy who has bought 6GB could have get it for free but now he is stuck with 12GB which he never might have required!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Inferno, There are tons of times where I might have purchased something and the price goes down on the product a few months later to the point where I could have purchased two of the products for the exact same price of purchasing the first product at the beginning.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<But unfortuantely after launching the plans of Shared Storage, Google might not be able to change their space allocation idea. >>

Well, Microsoft offered 2GB for free and 4GB if you payed $20/yr. Now they upgraded the storage to 5GB for free and 10 GB for $20/yr.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Colin n' Ionut... Guess you are right. Silly me... Never thought about that!!!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!