Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogger Play Shows Random Current Photos  (View post)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, September 16, 2007
16 years ago4,038 views

i watched about 15 minutes on this yesterday and there was not a single nsfw photo in it...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I watched for about 1 minute before an (artistic, but still NSFW) nude shot popped up...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< Sometimes, graphic icons can also impose risks as they may bring culture-specific connotations you didn’t think of. >>

That would be true if the interface and icons were to be used for many language versions of the interface without being localized, but since this is an English interface, there's no problem. (For example, the English words "slow" and "fast" in Sampleonia could mean "death" and "exit" so there wouldn't be much difference in using words or icons if that were the case – the interface would still need to be localized.)

So long as people realise that using icons doesn't mean you don't have to localize something, and they still get linguistic / localization experts to check icons like these when localizing interfaces, there's no problem. That's one of the reasons why final online QAs are so important in the localization industry – so all translations can be seen in context alongside the interface and imagery.

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

I think localization or interface doesn't matter here. For me, main questions are embedding and customization

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My main problem is memory usage.

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

hahahaha, me too
poor optimization

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I found beautiful pictures.

http://genesismovie.blogspot.com/2007/09/wht-do-u-think-of-this-style.html

:)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> So long as people realise that using icons doesn't mean
> you don't have to localize something, and they still get
> linguistic / localization experts to check icons like these
> when localizing interfaces, there's no problem.

If you can afford a localization expert to check on the interface for every translation, and if your trusted company designer then has time to do a separate icon design for every country. But have you ever seen this in say a localized Google product? I think in general the icons are thought of as "cross-language", not e.g. English. So I think to prepare for cross-country problems you better not create e.g. a "US-specific" icon if you know how to avoid it. A common mailbox icon is actually a good example of a US specific icon (or US + some other countries) though it too has become an idiom so it doen't matter anymore. But typically in e.g. Germany we don't have these mailboxes with the flag on top:

http://www.shipnmailexpress.com/img/mailbox_icon.gif

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In the UK the mail gets pushed through a slot in the front door. But we've become used to the US icon.

I remember the first time I pushed something through a US mailbox. It gave me a real fright when the red flag popped up!

elyk [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

In parts of the US very few houses have that sort of mailbox anymore either. Often there is a central mailbox every few blocks, or mail is pushed through a slot by the door. But people still recognize the traditional mailbox

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!