Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Contact Manager?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, October 28, 2007
12 years ago4,859 views

Ionut made a post today about what the next version of Gmail may contain after a few features were revealed at the recent analyst day:

googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007 ...

He mentions "a new contact manager that will be shared with other Google apps (Google Docs, Google Calendar etc.)"

I anticipate that the new "contact manager" will have the service code "cp". Why? Because a new service appeared in Google Apps a while ago which uses this code and it was recently updated to be called "Contacts":

www.google.com/a/ruscoe.net/Se ...

The link on that page points to this not-found URL:

google.com/m7/a/ruscoe.net

Also, that service code exists for Google Accounts, although it's simply known as "New Service" (which is a same for a lot of the new services now, even once they're released):

www.google.com/accounts/Servic ...

That's all. Sorry it's not very exciting... :-)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

ZOMG yes it IS!!! Woohoo! A VERY needes addition to Google Office!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

They still need to intergrate contact manager w/shared calendars.. that is scheduled of meeting /review doc etc with another party, by lookin at the person's calendar .. this feature is really needed raise the bar with collobration efforts across the web

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Wern't rumours about there being a new contact manager in Gmail around last year?

Oh well, I'd rather it works properly unlike Sharing Stuff.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

What? a new contact manager? Yes. Good. Please. Yesterday.
Almost anything is better than the current one.

Now we just need better filtering and message rules. I still want hierarchical labels, but I don't necessarily NEED them.

If they are updating code that means they may be launching GMail 2.0 or at least *parts* of it before year's end (I hope).

DPic [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

[put at-character here]Martin that's because shared stuff isn't fully out yet :)

the contact manager will also be something great for easily storing phone numbers. This can be synced to OpenMoko with an api, and obviously the GPhone. Also, services like GrandCentral :)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Why google.com/M7?

And maybe the "new" contact manager is nothing more than the contact manager of Google Video for example.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

That's the contact picker.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

This is good news indeed. It's probably months away.

BrianS [PersonRank 7]

12 years ago #

I don't know if this debunks your theory about codename cp or not Tony, but I noticed the following url goes to Google Mobile IG customization:

www.google.com/ig/cp

I came across this URL by doing a search for "google mobile ig"

google.com/search?q=google%20m ...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Well, perhaps it's different between Google Apps and Google Accounts, but that's usually not the case, and it's definitely called "Contacts" for Google Apps.

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!