Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AdSense to "Open in New Window" in China  (View post)

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, December 13, 2007
16 years ago7,410 views

According to the Official Google China Blog , ads of Chinese AdSense publishers will open in new window starting from today. This is in respond to the overwhelming request from publishers and to improve user experience of Chinese web surfers.

Read more here: http://gspy.blogspot.com/2007/12/adsense-to-open-in-new-window-in-china.html

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't understand why they like to open links in a new window. Google search results pages also do this by default in China.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

According to the blog post: Users won't have to click 'Back' to return to the publisher's site to continue browsing and it would prevent accidental click that causes traffic loss to that site. (Does this means invalid clicks is good?!)

16 years ago #

From the automatic translation:

" Users publishers Click on the website of advertisements, advertising will be enlarged in a new browser window showed. In this way, users need not use the browser's "back" button to return to the publishers continue to browse the website, users can also avoid the accident left the site caused the loss of the site's users the same time, this feature for users to browse Web sites and advertising brought a convenience. "

[BTW, Google Translate has a big problem: you can't copy the text from a translated web page because you also get the original text.]

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So, in what way is the reason given to China not applicable to the rest of the world, and vice versa?

16 years ago #

> [BTW, Google Translate has a big problem:
> you can't copy the text from a translated web
> page because you also get the original text.]

Is this caused by those annoying dynamic layers that pop up whenever you hover over the translated page? Agh. Hack in one JS feature and you'll destroy a dozen browser-native features.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

China is a market where Google isn't leading so they are willing to try new things more often. See what sticks to the wall.

16 years ago #

<<Is this caused by those annoying dynamic layers that pop up whenever you hover over the translated page? Agh. Hack in one JS feature and you'll destroy a dozen browser-native features.>>

It's related to do that. Google's translated page is structured like this:
<span>
translated text
<span>original text</span> (hidden, used to display the suggestion box)
</span>

<span>
translated text
<span>original text</span>
</span>

So when you select the translated text, you also select the original text.

Above 8 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Adam Zhu [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I always web pages to be opened in a new tab.

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Don't people use the middle key anymore? (That key on the mouse for scrolling) I always use it to open (and close) new tabs on my Firefox. It even works in IE. It definitely works with AdSense ads – I tried it. That's the best and easiest way to open new windows.

RJB [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Slow news day?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Gmail ads and links are already forced to open in a new window. But I don't like it.

Like Freddie, I know how to middle-click (click the scroll wheel) to open in a new tab or window, or to left-click to open in the same tab or window.

If you respect your users, you let them choose how to interact with your site.

> In this way, users need not use the browser's "back" button
> to return to the publishers continue to browse the website

No, but users need to use the "close window" button instead. You've broken the functionality of their back button, because it no longer works from the page opened by the ad.

AdSense publishers prefer to force ads to open in a new window, because it leaves their window essentially as a "pop-under ad", ready to spring into view again when the user leaves other pages, having long since forgotten about the original page.

Jacob Nielsen's top two web design mistakes of 1999 (!) were:
1. Breaking the Back button
2. Opening new browser windows
both of which are involved here:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

16 years ago #

Roger, I basically agree with you, but what about web applications that let the user edit (potentially very important) data? Like Gmail as you mention. Well, AdSense wasn't allowed to be included in applications a while ago (not sure if that's still the case), but say we're talking about applications. At the very least I guess the application would need to pop up that JavaScript alert saying something like "You are leaving the page, all data will be lost?" (not that this wasn't obvious in the first place before the user clicks the link, but the click may also happen accidental). That JS dialog is also a bit interruptive (it's currently annoying me in Gmail ever since the new version was rolled out).

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> "You are leaving the page, all data will be lost?"

AJAX apps don't need to lose data when a user navigates away from a page. It's just a "simple matter of programming" to save part-edited data every few seconds (as Blogger does, for example) and restore it when a user returns to the page.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!