etc

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The internal format is any of the following, at least from what I've seen:

johndoe[put at-character here]google.com
jdoe[put at-character here]google.com
johnd[put at-character here]google.com
john[put at-character here]google.com

(More variants, e.g. jd[put at-character here]google.com, may exist. Dots may be optional as in Gmail.)

I suppose those are served on a first-come basis, meaning if you're lucky to be the first "John" at Google you can pick "john[put at-character here]google.com" but if you're the second, you will have to go with a variant.

(Also, perhaps e.g. johndoe[put at-character here]*gmail*.com would also be reserved for that person working at Google, but I would have to check this again to verify... and wasn't it the case that most first names @gmail.com were reserved for that reason, i.e. you weren't able to sign up for them when Gmail went publicly live in 2004?)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

thanks!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp, Your examples are pretty much spot on to what different variations there are inside the company.

vrikodhara [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

And there was r[put at-character here]google.com

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

See also: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-04-19.html#n32

Who did you want to contact Brinke?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< Also, perhaps e.g. johndoe[put at-character here]*gmail*.com would also be reserved for that person working at Google, but I would have to check this again to verify... >>

I can confirm that's NOT the case – i.e. johndoe[put at-character here]google.com is not necessarily the same as johndoe[put at-character here]gmail.com.

Also, some Gmail addresses DO have fewer than 6 characters before the domain.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was writing the higher-ups about Gmail. I want my old address back. No bounces...but no responses either.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah, you can bet larry[put at-character here] and sergey[put at-character here] are taken!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!