Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Associate secondary email adress to your account  (View post)

Jfpo [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, January 20, 2008
16 years ago17,545 views

I hope it's new:
There is a new section when editing your "Personal information" in your Google Account, called "Associate email addresses with your account".

What do you guess Google can do with such information. Guess far!

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

simone [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

And you can't add email addresses who already are on google apps hosted domains.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Simone, that's not true. If you've tried and failed, could it be because you also have a Google Account setup using the same email address?

Jyaif [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This feature could also be useful to recuperate a stollen gmail account.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This has been around for over a month now, from what I remember. In fact, I believe it was mentioned on the forum – although I can't find the post now.

16 years ago #

Martin, I don't think it has. Are you sure you're not thinking about a similar feature? Like this perhaps: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/11/alternate-google-usernames.html ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

maybe this has something to do with the OpenID foo ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

actually yeah; that has been in the gmail account setting under the
"Add another email address" linky

16 years ago #

/pd, adding another email address to a Gmail account isn't the same thing at all.

16 years ago #

<<Martin, I don't think it has. Are you sure you're not thinking about a similar feature?>>

When I went to the Personal Info. page, it shows a few of my email addresses that I use. I've checked my email, and it shows I added an account through the alternative address feature on 23/11/2007.

Unless I'm just going crazy [always possible], found the feature and didn't mention it on the forum.

[Screenshot removed – Tony]

16 years ago #

Ah, thanks Martin. I guess they've just changed the wording and maybe only just started using it for Google Calendar, etc.

Ionut thought it was new too:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/01/associate-email-addresses-with-google.html

(BTW, if you post the verification URL, people can use that to see both your email addresses...)

16 years ago #

I guess I should have checked that the URL was disabled once an account has been linked.

(Could you remove the image please Tony? Thanks).

16 years ago #

Just had a thought... there used to be an option to add an alternate email address which seems to have gone missing:

http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=86635

I guess they changed it recently.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I added a Hotmail address, clicked on the verification link, but Google still says the verification is pending.

16 years ago #

Weird. I added a Hotmail address and it worked fine. Did you sign in to the verification page and everything?

16 years ago #

I've just added a live.com address and it seemed to work for me aswell.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>> Also, you can only add an email address to one Google Account. <<
(If I understand your statement correctly) Not true, you can add more than one...

http://googlified.com/files/temp/random.e.png

16 years ago #

> If I understand your statement correctly...

Nope :-P I said:

"...you can only add an email address to one Google Account."

NOT:

"...you can only add one email address to a Google Account."

Meaning: once you've added an email address to your Google Account, you can't add the same email address to another one too.

Brock [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Simone: I was able to associate my Google Apps hosted domain name. Works fine.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony
Shoot, the beauty of language.

By the way, when I sign in using the additional email, I can access ALL Google services (and that the email address next to the sign out link on top is the primary email address instead of the one I used to sign in).

Zoli Erdos [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I've recently done something similar, not adding addtional email addresses, but ­completely replacing the gmail login with the Google Apps one (http://www.zoliblog.com/2008/01/20/google-apps-and-account-chaos-almost-fixed/), and now all my Apps, including Calendar work correctly.

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

You can add another account and forward mail from that account to your "main account" also when replaying you can choose "replay from" but this works only with mail...

I usually use firefox for business and Safari for personal google account.

Jfpo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Don't you see any coincidence or opportunities for Google as an Open ID provider?

MarWi [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

What I haven't figured out yet, is how to use my Google Apps eMail address with iGoogle. I managed to associate it with My Account but the Gmail applet on iGoogle still won't work. Anyone got a solution?

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

Can anybody tell me how Google Calendar can show the invitation sent to any of the email addresses?

If I associate my work email address, how will Google know about the countless meeting requests I get to my work mail box?

16 years ago #

Libran Lover, Google knows about all Google Calendar event invitations because they're sent through Google Calendar. (It obviously won't know about any meeting requests sent from other systems to any non-Google email addresses.)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Easy. Google owns Google Calendar and can easily check if an email address is associated with a Google Account. It will probably send the invitation to that address and also show the invitation in your Google Calendar.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"Just had a thought... there used to be an option to add an alternate email address which seems to have gone missing"

On your Google Accounts page, under your "Personal Information", click the "Change security question" link...

Then you can add a "Secondary email" address.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Now, you can log in Gmail with all your adresses as pseudo but only your main password.
I've also noticed some changes in few Google Services. Google Alerts, for example, merges your alerts from all your email adresses:
Alerts for xxxxx[put at-character here]gmail.com
Alerts for yyyy[put at-character here]escem.fr
Alerts for zzzzz[put at-character here]uoguelph.c
It seems that this new system doesn't work because when you change settings in the "send to" menu of one of your adress, nothing change...
Weird.

Have you remarked other changes or flaws?

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Anyone considered that Google might be using the additional email for "data enrichment", as disclosed in the privacy policy: "We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other Google services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. "

Data enrichment would be through companies like Data Flux or Trillium Software.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A bug or not!?

I added my apps email. Please send invitations to h(a)api.li, let me see appear in your in my hongxiaowan(a)gmail.com Google Calendar or h(a)api.li Google Calendar

Jörg [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

A good reason is that now I can manage all my e-mails through google. I forward all mails to that google account, taking benefit of the great spam filter, collecting mails with my local mail client only form the google account. Plus, I can send mails using the web mail interface but using my "real" mail address (not the gmail one), which makes sense to me.

16 years ago #

Jörg, I think you're referring to Gmail's additional email address feature – which allows you to send emails from Gmail using other email addresses – rather than this feature which is found in your Google Account page and currently seems to be used only by Google Calendar and Google Alerts.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!