Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google transit add more towns

Luca [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 5, 2008
16 years ago4,396 views

Google Transit is now avaible for two italian town , Firenze and Torino, and two more(genova and Venezia) are in developement .

sample page:

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&dirflg=r&saddr=firenze+%2C+via+benedetta&daddr=firenze+%2C+via+laura&ttype=dep&date=3%2F5&time=9%3A35am

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Firenze and Turino ? Available ince november 2007...
But France (Maubeuge), this is really new.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Full List:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/2313005218_41be8527d4_o.png

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Do you think I can submit data from the public transportation of my town without the agreement of the company?

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

For London at least the transit information is quite incomplete in terms of where it considers bus stops are. In the city, they're every third actual stop and in the suburbs it's even more sparse listing only some major interchanges.

I did spot the transit information a few weeks ago for an address just outside of London (Elstree) which must have been the experimental phase.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]TomHTML, The data would have to be in a particular format plus it has to come from the actual Transportation department of the town/city. Google would want to download the information pretty regularly, so someone submitting a bus schedule or something wouldn't be that useful to them.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Considering how long it's been out (a bit over 2 years), I'm surprised at how long it is taking to roll out more cities in Transit. Obviously it's a large amount of data, but it just seems to be taking an extremely long time.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!