Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Will Gmail Get Themes?  (View post)

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 19, 2008
16 years ago18,261 views

Themes, to me, they are just skinning things, looking cool, but mostly just distraction from what I should do.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

Would probably be good for companies that have chosen Google Apps

Celestialspring [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

w00t! I like themes!

globex [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hope they include this: http://userstyles.org/styles/5867

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That is a pretty cool design, globex.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It was earlier on the google OS blog or blogoscoped. I used it for a few days, till I realized that other computer ran into problems with it, cause their gmail wasn't english...

Well, none the less I don't believe its the right way to go... themes normallly (not always) mess designs up. After using quite exotic themes on igoogle for a while I returned in the end to the classic one. I would rather see that they would experiment with "buttonface colors", although I never tried them since I fully switched to ubuntu a year ago.

peter c [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

who cares?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]David Mulder, I know what you mean about iGoogle themes. I have switched mine so often but I usually always revert back to the original themes Google released at the very beginning because they seem to have the least issues.

James Burgess [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I would say that it would be a good enhancement. I currently use Globex's Gmail theme with Greasmonkey in Firefox – but it's about the only thing keeping me from switching completely to Safari. I'd like to see Google extend the themes capability to the Gmail.

Paul [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I hope they will do it, but oh, please, not some other cheesy themes like the ones for iGoogle.. those are some bad bad themes.. and I will say no than ks! if the ones for Gmail are similar.

If we could get options to hack the current default theme and logo ourselves would be better I think, that already designed themes by who knows who.

jimstips [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I guess it really comes down to what "themes" means. If it's just altering colors and some graphics, I really have a "who cares?" attitude. But if it's about customizing the layout or about adding gadgets, then THAT is something I'm interested in.

For example, if we could add Google Calendar or Google Notebook "blocks" similar to how iGoogle works, then THAT would be excellent. But if it's simply making my email screen look like a beach scene, then I'll take a pass.

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Of course it is cool to be able to change the look of the interface, but it makes me a bit sad that Google is thinking of this before more important things like standardizing and improving Gmail's contact manager. Priorities seem to be a little askew here...

Miser [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

themes = beads and mirrors for the modern native

Johnnnyboy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I like this news, a few weeks ago i had started a Discussion for Igmail on Google's Discussion Groups. And finally i hear something about it .

NeoGeo [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've been waiting for that since my suscription on gmail.

The reason is very simple, a hate white background, that kills my eyes :Os

We should have this option in all Google apps...

Please Mister Google :O°

redwhortleberry [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Will the themes thing be available in all languages? Or should the others wait as usual? Any idea?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!