Google Blogoscoped

Forum

First Google Analytics Findings  (View post)

Erik [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, November 16, 2005
18 years ago

Thanks Philipp,

Just curious – how does it handle referrals from blog readers? Can you tell when someone read your blurb via Bloglines and did/did not click over?

I keep hearing that people are starting to see numbers, but no such luck for me yet...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You can see how many people click on items to go to your page via Bloglines, but you can't see how many read your items using Bloglines (you can see your subscribers at Bloglines, though). Depending on the blog reader the value may be exposed, but surely not for every blog reader. This is one reason why I don't publish full feeds...

Andrei [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I couldn't get Analytics to show me the ip addresses of the visitors. Perhaps Google considers this too invasive?

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Errgh, I am waiting for my <a href="http://googleplanet.blogspot.com">Google Planet</a> stats for more, than 30 hours already. Quite a long time for 12 hours, they promised :)

Terry Donaghe [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I have some stats now – for yesterday, but so far, no information for today. The stats for yesterday seem incomplete compared to what I have on StatTraq. Google Analytics is pretty, but it's pretty useless right now until they start sync up better with real time.

Ades [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Artem.. I am patiently waiting too. "Analytics has been successfully installed and data is being gathered now. Your first reports will be ready within twelve hours. " Well it has been almost 48 hours.. Oh well...

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Just go ahead and try and view the results – I still get the message saying reports will be ready in 12 hours, but the reports are actually already available.

(I was also misled by the fact that without having installed Flash, you cant see any graphics – so it's possible that my reports were available even sooner than I noticed).

The data in the reports is great, but the overall UI has problems – I hope they get around to removing the unnecessary Flash requirement as soon as possible. See
http://zmarties.blogspot.com/2005/11/why-does-google-analytics-ui-suck-so.html

Ugo Cei [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

If you see the "Your first reports will be ready within twelve hours" message, ignore it and click on the "View Reports" link. You should see some data.

The real problem is that it takes a loooong time for data to be available. My data is about 18 hours behind at the moment.

Apart from this, I think Analytics could be great for organizations running an e-commerce site, but I can't see great value for blogs or personal websites.

Adam [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm finding GA interesting but very frustrating (not just from the delay, either). I don't like the UI... too much clicking it seems sometimes.

And, surprisingly, it seems to be missing a lot of data, even in "complete" days!

For instance, I was curious to know if someone from Acme Corp visited my blog post about Acme's latest product... so I did a search for acme.com in the domain. Nope. But on statcounter, I see two folks visited from acme.com!

Why is statcounter able to see this, but not GA? Indeed, it seems that GA is missing out on a lot of the data that I'd like to see :(

Myroslav Opyr [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Philipp, your California visiotors and Google as most active organization has simple explanation. It is users that has GWA installed. These users are routed to GWA proxies in California and you get hits from there.

You can be sure that there are real Californians visiting your site but GWA adds there as well.

18 years ago #

Ah, I see. Didn't know that!

holladay [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Andei ....i didn't see the IP address report in GWA either. I find it one of the more useful reports in urchin's normal interface and I too noticed they dropped it and wonder if this was very privacy reasons as well.

Ades [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

re:zmarties

yes you are right, my reports are indeed there even it says 'waiting for data'. Google should fix this. i was about delete the code from the pages. thanks.

MaKa [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Re: IP's.

If you took the time to read the Terms and conditions: there was a blob of text you should display on your website. It contains the statement: "The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States" ... "Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google". Hence no info about IPs.

You can read the full statement at my site: http://www.pictures-of-castles.co.uk/terms and I'm sure it can be found somewhere on googles, but couldn't be bothered to look it up.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

MaKa: I saw that exact same text in the Terms and Conditions when I signed up for Google Analytics on the morning it was released. You apparently had to display the text on your website too. (I'm pretty sure that they said they'd even do random checks and disable your account if they couldn't find it!)

However, if you sign up for a new Google Analytics account now, that text is no longer included in the Terms and Conditions. Perhaps it was left over from Urchin's Terms and Conditions...

Satish Talim [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The data is nearly 2 days old and unless they give us real-time data, the stats are not really useful.

Ian Evans [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

How are your pageviews compared to other programs? My Google Analytics stats are about 1/3 what I'm showing for Analog...

Hmmm...should check...is it excluding bots and aggregators?

18 years ago #

Ian, yes it should exclude bots because it's JavaScript based...

I briefly compared the average pages-per-visit and the number was the exact same as my other statistics software.

Crouch Baker [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Can I have a gmail-account? my email address is jamescrouchb[put at-character here]hotmail.co.uk

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Still no updates to my stats since the first batch came in a couple of days ago.

david sanger [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

New a the top of the Analytics report page

"Waiting for data: www.davidsanger.com
Analytics has been successfully installed and data is being gathered now. The demand for Google Analytics surpassed even our highest expectations and as a result some customers may temporarily experience report-update delays. All data continues to be collected and no data has been lost. We are currently adding resources to ensure high-quality service. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've had it on my blog since Tuesday. It's caught up to Thursday at the moment, so about 3 days behind. Nonetheless, the map feature alone has got to be the best part. I was totally shocked to see blog readers from all over North America and Europe (and one visit from Taipei)! My Blogger.com blog is PR 3 right now but there are a few terms where I have excellent placement and these are driving a lot of visits. Long story short – the feedback from three days of data has been incredible and really helps drive the direction of my blog.

Hans Mast [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

My resolution is usually 1600x1200 when I visit GB, but right now it's lower because I am using my Linux handheld. :)

Ian Evans [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yes, the map feature is great. (A shout out to my readers in Rio, Moscow and Riyadh!)

Anyway, stats are still stuck on Thursday, so I guess the three day lag mentioned above still goes.

Brian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Thanks to Google's ip lookup I can see I have visitors from Mountain View and Redmond =)

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

My stats caught up to sometime on Sunday (yesterday).

Alex [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There is a tool to check that Google Analytics works on your web page before you see the results in your account. Just check http://ga.truwex.com/. Feel free to post your feedback!

Arnold [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I want an Acount, too. :(

Adrian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I am currently doing an investigation into Google Analytics for my employer. What I find very interesting is, that there are plenty of articles on it shortly after it's release – but ever since....it seriously became silent around Google Analytics? What happened? Is everyone too busy playing around with their Stats?

One other thing I would like to know is – isn't it standard that your ISP offers such stats. Mine does. So far, I don't see why I should let Google geek into my website.

18 years ago #

> What happened?

Personally I removed all my tracking code as it stalled my pages :)

> One other thing I would like to know is – isn't it standard
> that your ISP offers such stats. Mine does. So far, I don't
> see why I should let Google geek into my website.

Yeah, I'm back to my standards package. Tho what I need is really something better... ideally more real-time and more to my needs. So far I'm still looking for the perfect solution, even when Google Analytics wasn't bad...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!