Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Home page preferences; what's yours?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 28, 2008
16 years ago4,151 views

What do people use as their home page? Right now, mine is Yahoo! and Yahoo! News, as I use a Yahoo version of IE7; "Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo," and it presets two tabs.

I sometimes change to iGoogle (which I think is the best portal page, period- tho My Yahoo has really improved) if I am feeling particularly Googly.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Blank is fine. Anything which loads fast is OK. The "Google Search for Firefox" page is OK, because I think Google gives Firefox a cut of the revenue for this.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I use a blank page, and no tabs but windows.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I use igoogle as my homepage, without any theme... http://www.greatslovakia.com/public/igoogle.png, but loads of feeds through the tabbed gadget. I wonder who really uses these fancy gadgets... anybody here...?

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[offtopic]Mistake in image url parser, a url normally does not end in ",", or at least I have never seen one, so in it would be better to split of the comma. [/offtopic]

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Most of my browser instances start at about:blank – I have and use Opera, Safari, Firefox, and IE.

My work instance started at the company intranet entry page for ages, but I've switched to about:blank as well.

Using about:blank means that network traffic is limited, and I have an easier time understanding what Fiddler, Ethereal, Live HTTP Headers, and so on show.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I created my own Homepage on Google Sites, which has a Google Search Box and image links to the 6 sites I visit most regularly (Blogoscoped, Gmail, 2 Social Networks, 2 Web comics)
http://sites.google.com/a/mrrix32.com/mrrix32/start-page

In the past I've used, Google, iGoogle, about:blank...... that's about it :-P

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I use the iGoogle developer sandbox, instead of having a homepage to my favourite links, I've taken to using the Bookmarks toolbar in Fx3.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My homepage is Uncyclopedia. Firefox prefs are set to openning the last tabs that were open in the last session, though.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like the last session. Normally, it is GMail + Google Reader tabs, but if I left something uncomplete, the tab is there.

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

How often do you actually see your homepage? I restart my browser about once a month so unless I hit the home button (which most browsers have relegated to a second-tier location instead of up there next to forward/back/refresh) my homepage doesn't actually matter that much. New tabs simply open on a blank page.

Myself, I have it set to open two tabs simultaneously, iGoogle & Gmail as that's what I start my day with. I wish though, that if I'd hit the home button FF wouldn't load them yet again if they're already open – it should just switch focus to them (which one?), that would cause me to hit the home button (hey! it's disappeared entirely from FF3!) more often.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have iGoogle as my homepage. I also use a default theme on the main page. That allows me to see my gmail, calendar and all my favorite feeds all on one page.

Paul Fisher [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I keep it on the valuable service of http://www.isittuesday.com/ . (But usually, I just have it restore my session from last time.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!