16 years ago #

You are exactly right Brian!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice one..
Could've been better though.. :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Are Google doodles getting more regular these days?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's almost every few days it seems there is a new doodle.

Ward [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

If you look close there is no basket, therefore it is unmanned (or womanned)

Patrick Tremblay [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

There is a basket – it just doesn't hang below the balloon like we see now. It's a ring around the bottom of the balloon, as in this illustration:
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Montgolfier-Balloon/info/Montgolfier-balloon.jpg

Paula [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Great Doodle! I Love the Hot Air Ballons! It is something to celebrate!

jo paul [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I think its awesome dude!!!! i love the blue paint coreograph

sai rajan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/montgolfier_j/montgolfier_j.html

Chek out this....

Autumn D. [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I really loved it a lot and NICE HOT Balloon LOL!

Jackie, Brittany and Stephanie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

We love Google Doodles!! We feel more worldly and informed after reading this information!! yay Google Doodle!!

swit [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

all you people have to match time on your hands or what?
looks like you're brainwashed by another corporate bull...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp : read that
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/131913.html#id132096

BTW, when you click on the logo on Google.fr, the first site ranked shows in its title : "November, 21th 1783 : first travel with hot-air balloon". Lol.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There's a strange phenomenon at Google's international sites (and sometimes even at google.com): the top results for these doodles' queries are blog posts that discuss or just mention the doodles. Promoting recent web pages is not always a great idea and Google should have a parameter for disabling this artificial bias towards freshness. I know people who write blog posts optimized for Google's doodle query and get a lot of traffic. This will become more visible now that Google has 2 or 3 doodles a week.

Patty [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I hope google keeps up the doodles. I LOVE them! They add interest to my normally boring searches here at work.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Just made a hot air balloon and will launch this evening

Joyce Finlay UK [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Well done Dave, from Mountain View. Keep up the very interesting embelishments. Regards to Craig.

Cynic [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

First hot air balloon, Sputnik... but no Memorial Day. I see where Google's priorities are.

khushi [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Good one

JOE [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

you forgot the lasers, I guess Google did not do one for Memorial Day because it's American and we all know that Google would not affend anyone, except Americans. God forbid they would Celebrate the sacrifices made by our soldiers. Not just for our country but for those countries that we came to aid.

Dreg [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Cynic, do you think perhaps it's that spaceflight and aerostation are of international significance, whereas Memorial Day is limited to only one country?

Kencorla [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Unfortunately a lot of the countries Joe wants to aid would prefer it if you just stayed at home

Dreg [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

So Joe, when Google doesn't do Canada Day, or Guy Fawkes Day, is it out of an intention to "offend" Canadians and Brits? I assume you do celebrate Bastille Day to honor the sacrifices of the French in our Revolution? Or are you just one of those xenophobic US-centric my-country-right-or-wrong Americans who think only things American matter?

Joe Marquez [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

They didn't do anything (jerks) for Cinco de Mayo either. Guess since it's since the United States celebrates Cinco de Mayo more than Mexico. Google (with Algore on it's board) is more anti American than even Barak insane Obama...

Dreg [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Ahh. I understand. Working with other countries is un-American. Good luck with that. No idea what your point is about Cinco de Mayo, but it's good to be aware of the 180-degree swing that the definition of "American" has undergone.

Incidentally, unmanned hot-air balloons were flown in China long before the French picked up the idea, and it's been proven that the technology for LTA flight existed in South America hundreds of years before the Montgolfiers (though it has not been definitively proven that they actually did fly manned balloons).

JOE [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google will do what ever they want to, if you do not know that think again,
As far as America can do no wrong, thats childish to even consider. For all the soldiers no matter what country they are from, any observance for the scarifices made should be at the very least tolorated if anything. Google chooses not to do anything for fear of affending or having to do work on something that really matters rather than letting people know when the laser was invented.

Cynic [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Google's explanation for omitting Memorial Day over the last 3 years. No mention of "international significance":

"Furthermore, Google’s special logos tend to be lighthearted in nature. If we were to commemorate Memorial Day, we would want to express reverence, rather than mirth. This would be a particularly challenging design. We would not want to, in any way, create a graphic that could be interpreted as disrespectful. In light of the mail we have received about this, we are actively considering designs we could display on this day next year. We welcome any suggestions you may have."

Many suggestions were proffered, yet none were implemented. By the way, Google's loyaties SHOULD lie in the USA, where it is incorporated. It is the US capitalist system that has allowed it to become the powerhouse that it is.

Jenn Weber [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

ealrier swit posted "all you people have to match time on your hands or what? looks like you're brainwashed by another corporate bull..."

First off, check your grammar before posting a stab at people, or you lose all credibility. Second, telling people they have too [much] (not match) time on their hands is in fact showing that you have enough time on your hands to tell others they have too much time... right. I of course have too much time because I'm bored and home sick. What's your excuse?

Also, to my fellow Americans that are upset over no memorial day doodle, let it go. What do you wanna see? A doodle of dead soldiers? Google can't please everyone, and if you complain enough they may stop doodles altogether. Most things are ruined/ended because people can't get over themselves, and feel their causes or beliefs should come first.

JOE [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Kencorla- I can asure you I do not have the authority to send American troops anywhere.

Pier320 [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Happy hot air day. I too have to give hot air as I am chairing a meeting today.

Kencorla [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Joe – Thank God for that. What you seem to term as aid would be regarded by most other countries as imperialism

Whoop! [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Awesome.

JOE [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Kencorla- that depends if your the country that needs the aid, but your the reason for it.

Grandpa John [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

My 5 year old granddaughter is anxiously waiting for the next Google art contest. How can we find out about it?

Ken Forbes [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Aid is Aid....period. I care little about the opinions of most other countries, many of whom are jealous of the U.S and its freedoms. Much of the world lives in under psuedo-democratic-progressive-communist tyranny or worse and therefore could use a little " imperialism" in the form of aid, to free them....or feed them....and their closed, anti American minds.....

think about it – freely.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Grandpa John
You mean Doodle4Google?

JOE [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Memorial Day is a day of observance of those soldiers that scarified there lives to go into battle for their country. Its not a day to remember the country at war or if it was the best thing to do. Remember that If you ever have a loved one in the military. You never want to see them fighting for there life. For those who have serverd in any military knows that those decisions of staying at home or going to fight is not yours to make.

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

To Ken Forbes:

How about I bring your country to the knees just to show people like you their mentality is even more CLOSED than those of "Anti-Americans". I don't see how the economically-driven imperialism the USA is(was) practicing could bring FREEDOM to anyone. Get your facts straight. Nobody likes being "helped" in the way the America helped Afghanistan or Iraq. Nobody wants other countries interfere in their own business.

And nice Doodle, Google seems different than the other "giants". Control over people is possible if people are ignorant. Google, in my opinion, tries to fight ignorance thus appearing differently-ended compared to other powerhouses.

Elie Raymond Dwailibi [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

First , i want to express my thanks . It is a good idea to commemorate what some people did in their lives to improve the coditions . They did much and we are just memorizing : this is the least that we must do .

[I Am Canadian] [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The US did not invent the internet. .com is not an american thing, it's a global thing. If i ever see US holidays in the google.com let alone the google.ca logo i would defiantly feel oppressed by a US corporation. However it would be fine with me if google.us celebrated US holidays.

spiros [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

love the logo well done google

Jaxx [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google is a Canadian idea and implementation. |:^Þ

Nicole Beaudoin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Cool! I flew in a hot air balloon with a female pilote in Albuqurque New Mexico in 1984. It was a great flight. My favorite pictures are of our shadow drifting across the landscape. Landing was a little tricky though...hit a few cactuses on the way down...ouch! ooch! :)))

arun india [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi Philipp
This is the logo in India. The new day is here its 1:06 am. I oughta sleep I know... But I was expecting World Environ day doodle

JOE [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

The US did invent the internet, http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ii_summary.htm
Yes the internet is a globle thing, That is what makes it so cool, as far as not being American I have to disagree, with our capital government this is a very usefull tool to conduct business of all kinds, unfortunatly with all great tools invented, this one being no exception has and is being missued for evil purposes.
Internet = Freedom
Oppressed by seeing a Doogle of a US holiday! Wow, get some help, you have issues.
I know if I saw a Doogle of a foreign country's holiday I will not be oppressed, only enlightend.

[I Am Canadian] [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The .com domain name system was NOT invented in the US. Which is my point.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet#growth

"Although the basic applications and guidelines that make the Internet possible had existed for almost a decade, the network did not gain a public face until the 1990s. On August 6, 1991, CERN, which straddles the border between France and Switzerland, publicized the new World Wide Web project. The Web was invented by English scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1989."

I would be enlightened by say... a Nepali holiday showing up on my google page, but an american one is oppressive. They are so dominant that it's not at all enlighting to here yet again about one of their patriotic parties. Someone said that being next to the US is like "being in bed with an elephant". I feel it. Nothing against americans, I just want to make sure there is room for every culture independent on the US.

fenderbender [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have to side with Joe...

True, not all countries have wanted the US's help, but if not for the US, the official language of all of Europe and Russia would now be German and all of southeast Asia would be speaking Japanese.

The US doesn't set out to rule other countries, whether it be Germany or Japan in the 1940's or Afghanistan/Iraq now. Remember that Russia DID rule their part of Gemany for 50 years. We are protecting our interests (economic and military) and every country that can do that, has, for thousands of years. If the US did set its sights on world domination, we could certainly do it, but we don't. It's actually quite the opposite... consider Kyoto: how many countries that DID sign Kyoto have met their goals? Exactly one: Russia, and it was easy because of the high level of emissions when they were the USSR.

The US (government and citizens combined) has sent far more money and manpower to help other countries. Don't forget the millions of dollars that people send to their families in Mexico or Eastern Europe? France wouldn't even allow US airplanes fly over their airspace to liberate Kuwait (you know it was because Iran is a nice customer for French military hardware). Also, the US has waived trillions of dollars in foreign loans.

Finally, Google DID have a Doodle for Bastille Day.

Touche'.

fenderbender [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

By the way, if Google is so gutless so as to not put up a Doodle for a US holiday so as to not offend anyone, then we need to call them gutless. The US is getting so politically correct that you can't say anything without offending someone. I'm a white male and that has been a crime in the US for 20 years. Similarly, in the international community, it's a crime to be the US.

Well, the US is headed down the toilet economically, thanks to the greedy morons in congress and the world is not going to be a better place for it. If the US does fall into another depression, you'll see how well the world does. Greed is the reason for the 1930's Depression, greed is the reason for the mortgage debacle, greed is the reason for most of US leaders' bad international decisions, and greed is the reason that we have so much of our tax dollars wasted on special interests. Don't blame the US citizens for the faults of the US government and don't say they are our elected officials, so it's our fault. You can say that if we had the choice "none of the above" on our ballots, because that's what I would have checked in 90% of the last 20 elections.

The world owes the US a lot more than it thinks and we've been very generous about not collecting on your debts (of all kinds, not just monetary).

oh ya [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

typical american response. Last i herd the US owed the World Bank Trillions.. not just billions or millions like most countries.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!