Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Down More Often Lately  (View post)

alEx [PersonRank 0]

Monday, November 21, 2005
18 years ago

Yap man, Gmail is down today, does someone has an idea how we can access our account or we just have to wait?
ah wait, ok, it just started again.

Didier DURAND [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I confirm that Google services are no longer what they used to be: I am having problems with my Gmail account right at this moment.

madman [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Thr Google-analytics lag is really annoying and I've noticed it on several blogs

aba [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

and always this one:

Hallo,

Vielen Dank, dass Sie uns auf Verzögerungen in den Statistiken hinweisen. Bitte beachten Sie, dass aufgrund von Systemoptimierungen und der grossen Nachfrage nach Google Analytics während der ersten Zeit die Statistiken unter Umständen verzögert im Konto aktualisiert werden. Wir sind uns dieses Problems bewusst und arbeiten intensiv daran, die Systemleistung zu verbessern. Vielen Dank für Ihre Geduld.

Bitte ziehen Sie auch unser Hilfecenter zu Rate; diese Online-Hilfe finden Sie unter der Adresse http://www.google.com/support/analytics?hl=de-DE.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

xxx xxxx
Google Analytics Support

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've noticed it too. I don't doubt that Google can scale, but I don't think they can scale as fast as they are adding services. In fact, it's obvious!

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Here in Mexico everything is working fine... Therefore it must be a regional problem...

Luke [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I haven't noticed much increased downtime lately here in midwest USA.

Pasi Savolainen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yup, not much downtime in services when accessing from Finland. Analytics analyzes slowly (lags ~3days), but every site loads very fast.

Adam Saunders [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The fact that Analytics always says loading is strange. However, I just ignore that, because it is giving me very good stats.

I've got a wordpress v1.5 blog and I haven't noticed any problems with my website. Analytics has also showed me that you are helping me get some additional traffic. Thanks!

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I haven't noticed any problems at all. Not even with Google analytics now (first couple of days were a bit dodgy of course) This does surprise me, as I would have thought Google would have thoroughly thought through their scaling requirements.

Kyle [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Me neither; google has been up nearly nonstop for me with the exception of a 15 minute or so outage about a month ago. It mut just be a regional problem. I've also never had any problem with this site loading.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My biggest complaint was an approximately 2 hour outage a few weeks ago. I could get to other IPs, but the one my DNS was resolving to was down. This made it hard to get to services like search history, maps, and gmail.

I think gmail has been more reliable recently. When I first got it, some e-mails were slow to arrive and it was doing maintenance semi-often. I hardly ever see maintenance anymore.

Analytics is caught up through yesterday for me, but I don't get many hits (over half my hits come from Google, and the majority of the rest are from Google related blogs, hehe).

LuckyStarr [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

At the last outage I took the opportunity to trace the problem with traceroute (why am I the only one with this idea?) and noticed routing problems right next to (2 hops) googles servers. I traced it several times and got a clear picture. Sometimes I would get packet loss, sometimes it would work fine. Apparently had something to do with one of its IPs. Normally you remove the IP from the DNS entry and all is ok again, but the broken IPs werent removed.

So heises statement that the problem had something to do with the DNS records could be true.

Artie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm in Norway and Gmail has been down repeatedly for me lately. I can wait for a little while for the service to come back but if they lose any of my mail or anything I've stored in drafts I'm gone.

Tomi Häsä [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I'm still having problems especially with Google Groups (Finland, Windows 2000 SP4):

http://groups.google.com/group/google-labs-groups2/browse_frm/thread/5ff88371cd082d08/1804dda0abf789b7#1804dda0abf789b7

Tomi Häsä [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

Now Google Groups has stopped archiving Usenet newsgroups, but of course that's more related to newsgroups than connection down time...

http://groups.google.com/group/google-labs-groups2/browse_frm/thread/57f78c430ffc0ba8/34ecea0515198d0e#34ecea0515198d0e

andrew [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I am in Columbia SC, and Google has been down for tghe entire weekend, with the exception of g-mail working correctly, all google search functions have been down for three days! And this is the only report on the internet on the subject. Ridiculous. I need my google.

jf [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

i'm in the uk., and it looks like google video is down.
i get no results when i search for say "cnn", or "bbc"
video.google.com

Michael Teper [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

GMail, AdWords, Analytics all down today. Urchin code is timing out and throwing a javascript error.

Bcorr [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It's a week after the last post, and I've had serious problems with various services for 24 hours. Search comes and goes; I can occasionally download Gmail messages with POP, but not through the web interface at all; Groups is inaccessible and hasn't implemented changes to groups I made just before it became inaccessible.

I'm in Massachusetts and haven't seen others complaining about this elsewhere. Any comments or ideas?

Bcorr [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Update: after all else failed, I disconnected my cable modem so that I'd get assigned a new IP (since they are semi-static – lasting as many days or weeks as your connected) and that resolved the problems. I imagine it was some sort of DNS issue.

Gladuša [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google Analytics lags 2-3 days.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!