Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] Mozilla Crashing on Exit

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 25, 2008
16 years ago8,002 views

This must be progress. Having Firefox 3, around the time of their latest release I'm almost always getting this when closing the browser:

http://blogoscoped.com/files/mozilla-crash-reporter.png

"We're Sorry"

Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and windows when it restarts ..."

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This keeps happening to a friend of mine. Firefox 3 works great on my Mac. I haven't tried the windows version yet on my other machine.

16 years ago #

Does your friend have Vista too?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I work on XP & FF3.0. It works mostly fine for me and much more performant than FF2.0 or IE.

The only times it crashes is when I've opened too much pages with windows media player embedded in them. Too much = 3, 4 or sometimes a little more... I had it too with FF2 so I wonder if that isn't more a problem of windows media player ...

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have random crashes too..
Sometimes i don't even get the above message.. :/

Philipp, did it accour to you on sites you're not usually go to..

(It happened to me when i checked the postil website..)

BTW, i use Windows XP

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I get this when FF is supposed to be restarting (eg. After installing an extension) but not normaly closing it.
[FF3/Vista.HP]

FF3 Portable is SOOOO slow for me (And every one in my class). We never had a problem with FF2 portable. :-/
[FF3.P/XP.P]

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I tried every alpha and beta of Firefox 3, and I'm not exaggerating when I say after a5 it never crashed once for me, David, the crash reporter might not show if there is a flash element on the page when it crashes.

Ash [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Philipp: Tried disabling all extensions (temporarily)?

e.g.
"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3\firefox.exe" -no-remote -safe-mode

[Slashes readded – Tony]

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Mine keeps crashing too. Its frustrating.

I use Windows Vista Ultimate.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

As mentioned, it could be an add-on causing the crash. I had that happen before. The only other time mine crashed was with some strange video player on a website.

[put at-character here]Mrrix32... FF3 Portable edition works great for me. I have it on 3 desktops and a laptop. No issues at all and performance/overhead is much better than IE.
Note: One option I had to set after each install was the available space for cache on the Advanced>Network tab. I think it defaults to 0. So, I set it to 20MB and that made a difference.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Mine crashed a fair bit during the betas. Firefox will crash if DEP (a Windows service) closes it if an application runs when it believes it shouldn't, ie. Google Pack.

My issue with Fx and Vista is that if you close Firefox, more often than not, the process does not close. And then if you reopen it, a lot of your personal settings are not visible (bookmarks, homepage, etc.)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I use Ubuntu (Gutsy), and on average, Firefox 3 (basic configuration) crashes every 15 minutes. Usually it's when I close a tab, or trying to open a new one when the current tab is still loading.

16 years ago #

Never realized it could be an add-on that's causing the problems. I'll try disabling or uninstalling a couple.
What's with those Add-ons where the Uninstall button is ghosted/ grayed out, anyway? For instance, the Google Photos Screensaver add-on – which I never wanted to install, but apparently it ships with their screensaver – shows grayed out in the add-ons but the buttons aren't clickable.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Grayed out = Non compatible with that version of FF?

Or I remember Google Gears used to say it was managed with an external application, so you couldn't uninstall from Add-Ons (you still can't but you have the option to disable it)

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It used to do that to my sisters XP pc. It was FF2.0 that was crashing when she closed it, though? Maybe it's an outstanding bug?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was having regular crashing with FF 3.0 on my mac, and it was add-ons that were doing it.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Fx3 has been good to me. I don't remember it even crashing once yet. I'm using it on Windows XP SP2.

Ironically, Fx2 only used to crash for me when the quality feedback agent used to fire up... :-)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Do you think Google Gears might be the source of the crashes? Because I've only that extension installed, with French & english dictionnaries...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've found a fun trick. When Firefox crashes, and if you are lucky enough to the crash report window, click on the button "details". There is a funny line :
<<SecondsSinceLastCrash: 1804>>
If you want to get them all, for stats, use that linux command if you can:
<<
(cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/Crash Reports/; find . | xargs grep SecondsSinceLastCrash | grep "=" | cut -d'=' -f2)
>>
you will get the number of seconds between each reported crash.
Just add " | wc -l" to count the number of reported crashes.

I've 39 *reported* crashes, with Firefox 3.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My friend was having an issue with Firefox 3 on Windows XP SP2. It has crashed several times a day since she's installed it. Does uninstalling the add-ons work for you Philipp?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!