Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps Walking Directions Live  (View post)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
15 years ago6,167 views

For a long time I have been able to get good walking directions (in the UK) by asking Google Maps for Public Transit directions and choosing a time (e.g. 2AM) when there's not much public transport available. Invariably a walking route is displayed.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Super cool!

This could be interpreted to Google Maps for Mobile..possibly

Chris [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I noticed the walking directions and driving directions are not the same as shown here http://cgullworld.blogspot.com/2008/07/google-maps-launches-walking-directions.html . But sometimes I wish Google will just connect the two points in a straight line, that is what we do when we try to take a short cut :).

[URL expanded]

Keith [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Unfortunately no database can possibly know all the walkable routes to a place. For example, this GMaps feature doesn't seem to know that I can take the footbridge behind my office into the stadium parking lot and cut through it. It doesn't even seem to consider the possibility that the building has a rear door or that I can walk around it. For the most part it routes you along major streets (read: lots of waiting for walk lights).

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Other than ignoring oneway streets and the estimated time, what differences are there?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google Maps Walking = (Google Maps – highways)*($AverageSpeed*0.23)
nothing more.

Look, basically it doesn't follow lanes: http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=d&hl=fr&geocode=1787812747407560066,50.469826,2.669375&saddr=Rue+de+la+Cit%C3%A9+%4050.469826,+2.669375&daddr=50.469688,2.668186&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&doflg=ptk&sll=50.469292,2.66809&sspn=0.003012,0.009398&ie=UTF8&z=17

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Mrrix32:
Chris's link shows a difference. I imagine there's a bit more data involved. Also, since walking is (theoretically) not limited by speed limits, that probably results in some different routes.

Also, lol @ TOMHTML's example. :-)

Ivan Strand [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It ignored the bike/walking path parallel to the road in the route that I tried to map in Victoria B.C.

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

In TOMHTMLS example maybe it has do to with the fact that the lane on the MAP is not exactly on the same spot like the one on the satelitte image, so if you look exactly at the satellite image you can see a white line getting "through" one of the buildings.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

In TOMHTML's example, all you need to do is to click "À pied" (by foot) and the route changes to use the lane. The route that doesn't use the lane is "en voiture" (by car).

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

And it appears that the blue color is reserved for the walking directions on the map?

Mark Alves [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Add &dirflg=w to the URL in TOMHTML's example for the walking directions to appear.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Google can provide a Wiki like options as they do for places, so everyone can edit the best routes accordingly. The walking directions can follow the pedestrian pathways and also can show cycling routes with different colors. With user inputs we can get the best routes.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I like how once you do a walking route you can change the destinations to anywhere in N. America. It seems that if I walk at about 3mph 24/7 I can get to San Francisco in only 39 days!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]ALL : When I posted the link to the map, even when clicking on "walk directions" link it didn't use the short lane. Now, it works (!)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!