Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Street View given thumbs up for UK  (View post)

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

Thursday, July 31, 2008
15 years ago5,410 views

The Guardian (and other papers) announced today that Street View had been given the go ahead for the UK. I'm really excited about this! I find Street View fascinating but it will be even better when I actually recognise some of the places!

I wonder how long until this arrives on Google Maps? I know the cars have been in London and Manchester and other places. Days? Weeks?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jul/31/google.civilliberties

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Is Google still using TeleAtlas data for StreetView too? I saw a Belgian TeleAtlas van (like a motorhome) going up the M1 (I think, although it could have been the M42/A42) on Monday.

My mum saw a StreetView car in Bolton (near Manchester) the other day too.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That's good news.

Weren't the cars spotted in italy and germany before the UK? I'm guessing they'll roll it out there first. But maybe they are waiting to roll it out in many countries in Europe all together.

15 years ago #

Blimey. The Bolton News (Bolton's local paper) are on the ball with this story. I've just received an email and a phone call from them (after they read my comment here) asking where exactly the car was spotted and asking what I think about Google doing this. My answer was completely off-the-cuff and probably not what I actually think at all. Oh well... I guess the people of Bolton will think I'm an idiot now! :-D

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Wow Tony that sounds fun. Bolton fame is good. I'm very suprised they are so on the ball! Is there an article on their website?

I was just passing through Bolton a few minutes ago on the train on my way back from Manchester where I work...back to Blackburn! I assume you live in Bolton? It's a cliche but...small world.

15 years ago #

I can't find the article yet. I guess it may go in the paper tomorrow.

(I don't live in Bolton anymore but I am from there originally.)

Above 6 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

mapper99 [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The UK citizens are almost as paranoid as us Canadians! I'm surprised the French don't mind their citizens on display like this woman on her balcony as seen in the streetviewgallery blog.

15 years ago #

Mapper99, please don't assume that all UK citizens are as paranoid as the UK media! :-)

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Wait a minute! The UK has millions of government surveilance cameras and they were worried about Google?

jf [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

read elsewhere that Google have hired 300 drivers to streetview Switzerland.

jf [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

http://valleywag.com/357517/sergey-stymied-prius-doesnt-work-for-google-street-view

"In Europe, Google's on a massive hiring binge for the Street View feature of Google Maps, where camera-equipped vehicles snap photos of streetscapes. It's bringing on 300 drivers for the Switzerland-based effort. "

15 years ago #

And my Auntie just saw a Google Street View car on Parkhills Road in Bury. So it definitely looks like Google's trying to cover the Greater Manchester region of the UK at the moment.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!