Google Blogoscoped

Forum

PDF files with authors names in SERPs  (View post)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 13, 2008
18 years ago • 11,283 views

When you are looking for PDF files, Google now displays authors of the PDF file and publication date. Only when it is available.
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amemsic.ccsd.cnrs.fr%2F+filetype%3Apdf&hl=en

It may be related to Google Scholar ("cited by...")
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aunesco.org+filetype%3Apdf&btnG=Search

Have you ever seen that before?

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ionut suspects the data source for this to be Google Scholar:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/08/google-search-results-show-metadata-for.html

Christoph [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I can't see the author's name in the examples mentioned above. Seems not to be rolled out to everybody.

Christoph [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Update:
I don't see the author's it in the example query results but it in other result pages. It seems to depend on the search, if you can see the author.

For example I can see it here

http://www.google.ch/search?q=site%3Asta.be.ch+frauen+kavemann

but not here

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22h%C3%A4uslicher+Gewalt%22+%22Wenn+Frauen+gewaltt%C3%A4tig%22

even if the first result is the same document.

Scott [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I see it on a .htm result when doing a search for BMI.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bmi

The result from the CDC shows "by P Room", which could be Press Room as I couldn't find a P Room anywhere on the page.

Stefan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I don't like this function. May not be that useful as many documents don't use real authors. I hope that they've got filters for the most popular writers of our century, e.g. 'GoLive' and 'Administrator'. ;-)

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Works here, and absolutely this is a new feature.

When searching with Google.fi the text is localized too:
"kirjoittanut P Belhouchat – 2004"

It appears that Google can digg the year document was saved too

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This feature seems to work with PDF, PS, HTML, Doc ...

[PS] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=output+filetype%3Aps

[HTML] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=role+of+bone+marrow+abstract

[DOC] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bone+marrow+filetype%3Adoc

This must be a Google Scholar feature that was pushed to Google.com searches this month.

Steven [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Not only PDF files.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

(I added an update, thanks!)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This has nothing to do with the PDF/DOC/HTML files. Google uses data from Google Scholar to improve the results for scientific paper.

Some people thought Google uses metadata from the files: http://www.businessol.com/seo-blog/2008/08/pdfs-in-google-search-results-showing.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ionut, where does the name "H Another" come from? (I show it in the update.)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, these links might provide an answer:
http://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/about.html
http://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/publishers.html

"We rely on a document's layout to extract metadata, citations and other information which plays a significant role in relevance ranking."

H Another is most likely the result of a bug. As you can see from this search: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_q=&num=10&btnG=Search+Scholar&as_epq=h+another&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_occt=any&as_sauthors=h+another&as_publication=&as_ylo=&as_yhi=&as_allsubj=all&hl=en&lr= Google doesn't find the author correctly all the time. There's an author called "H another error enters Diffey’s" for a text that includes in the middle:

"However another error enters Diffey’s calculations when he assumes that 600 to..."

There's another author called "HOMLT Another" from a text that includes "How One Mistake Leads To Another" as part of the title.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7344/scholarauthorbugsnt1.png

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can imagine that Knol's "Real Names" will appear in this field in the future.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Another weird result:
http://www.google.com/search?q=css

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1043/scholarauthorbug2ma3.png

(the page includes "Appendix B. Changes from CSS1")

The scholar results are hilarious: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&cluster=7519355437016428266&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=science_links&resnum=2&ct=sl-allversions

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

More examples of papers: http://www.google.com/search?q='Citing+Articles+via+Google+Scholar'

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The example search
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/138085.html#id138098

comparing Google.ch and Google.com gives the author information here, when using Google.com link too.

Jonathan Wall [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

A similar feature that I just saw-- is Google treating forum results differently? For example, when I search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22my+ip+is+192.168.1.101%22 , I get results that say things like "20 posts – 8 authors" at the top.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't see these post & author information with the Google.com test URL listed from my country

Forum home

Advertisement

 
Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

 

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!