Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Philipp, think its time for another wish list?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
15 years ago3,919 views

I think the last Google Wish List was back in 2007. With all of the new services and updates, What do you wish Google would do?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

* GDrive
* Make Orkut more "Googly"
* Use Gmails infinite storage for PWA
* Google Earth Channel for the Wii
* Give the UK Google SMS again!!!
* Release Linux versions off all their Windows programs
* Sort out GTalk and which features they want to use
* A cheeper Google Cycling Top in their store :P

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It's surprising how much from that previous list has happened!

Google Sites, OpenID support in Blogger, Improoved Gmail Contacts, IMAP, Gmail https setting, Gears, Search in Google Reader, Changed GD&S to Google Docs, PWA Geotagging, Google Transit UK, Upload PDF to Docs, Connditional formating and charts in Spreadsheets , Presently, Lively, Android.

There was even a request for a "Firefox Clone" :P

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

* Release Linux versions of all their programs
* An AdSense setting that allows grapical ads but not animated ads
* A phone with a large 800x480 screen running Android, like this one, but without Microsoft Windows Mobile:
http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64790
(yeah, I know Google isn't going to do Android hardware)
* An official company policy against censorship and government oppression

That would do nicely for the next year or so.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger

Isn't the HTC Dream the only android phone that google was actually involved in the deesign of? It even has google branding on the back.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: yes, that's my understanding. I don't expect to see an Android version of the HTC Touch HD, which is why it's on my wishlist.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

* Street view in France :-D
* Release Linux versions of all their programs (+1 with Roger)
* Facial recognition for Picasa software. (fix bugs in PWA before... http://groups.google.com/group/PicasaWebAlbums/browse_thread/thread/4c1efeb60650c6c0)
* Enhancement for Google Talk, the real one, the great software (!!!!!), not the fucking widget.

that's all. I hope you're agree with me, at least for the two last requests.

15 years ago #

* an iGoogle icon for the iPhone (every other service has an icon)
* Chrome for Mac & Linux
* Lively for Mac & Linux
* Standalone GTalk app for Mac & Linux with Video & Audio capabilities
* Better contact management options in Gmail, its still not quite there
* Google Solar options for homes worldwide
* Google Plug-in hybrid cars available in every city
* Google Broadband/wifi throughout the entire US then expand globally after the kinks are worked out
* I would love to see Google jump into the Genealogy field by:

– Digitize every book at the Family History Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, Utah. (World's largest Genealogy library)

– Have an obituary search section in Google News Archive

– Digitize birth & death certificates.

– A Way to import Gedcom files into a Google site and have it searchable by everyone. (expand on Google Base for this maybe??)

– Streetview type service in cemeteries, imagine a virtual cemetery of sorts that allows you to walk around a cemetery that's thousands of miles away and being able to see a long lost relatives tombstone.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<< Digitize every book at the Family History Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, Utah. (World's largest Genealogy library) >>

I couldn't agree more. I'm really surprised Google hasn't gotten into the whole genealogy market given that there's so much information to index and make searchable. I wouldn't be surprised if Google acquired The Generations Network (previously MyFamily, who owns Ancestry.com) within the next few years since they've already made a pretty good start on it.

Ken B [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

* GDrive
* OpenID support for Google accounts and Google Apps accounts.
* More and better integrated services, booth for ordinary accounts and Google Apps. Like Jaiku, Youtube, Grandcentral, Groups, and collect videos and photos for group web albums on Google Sites.
* SyncML for syncing data with mobiles.
* Google Health for sports/training? Integrate calendar, maps, spreadsheets, fotos/videos, blogger and groups discussion for training purposes. Then you could have a training diary where you can upload heartbeats logs, events, running/skiing trails, altitudes, times, graphs over development, injuries, recovery, share tips/videos of techniques, equipment etc.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I was thinking...nevermind OpenID

How about letting Yahoo! users and Live! users etc, use their logins across google services? I mean wouldn't that make sense?

15 years ago #

How could I forget Gdrive?? +1 for that service.

wonder [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

*encryption with google talk and gmail
*the ability to create blacklists and whitelists in gmail – no more spam!
*folders in gmail
*true Interoperability with aim and gtalk
*true Interoperability with yahoo messenger and gtalk (with the new deal it will happen but lets hope it wont take 2 years like it did with AOL, which wasnt true Interoperability)
*better contact manager in gmail to recognize different phone numbers and email addresses and the ability to add birthdays and link them to google calender
*add videos in PWA without having to download picasa
*create true private albums in PWA
*photo editing in PWA
*add music to PWA slideshows
*able to delete alternate names in PWA (those pesky names that stick to your account)

wonder [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

oh and...

*make gmail labs permanent! why not?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

* A working image comparison search engine and pattern explorer
* Open-sourcing the inner workings of Google censorship/ censorship-related as well as other government communications worldwide.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!