Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What Did I Search For Game  (View post)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

Monday, December 12, 2005
18 years ago

Problem: if the result contains google (e.g. [fight]) Google is replaced in all instances by "Games for the Brain" so the first result is games for the brain fight (games for the brain ?????) which is rather agrivating. You should also just disable all the links and replace them with blue underlined text with style="cursor:pointer" because the overwhelming majority are broken and the ones that arent (again, see [fight]: the imdb result) are dead giveaways if you just follow the link

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Very good suggestions, I implemented them.

amski [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The answer on one game was "context", but nonetheless in the top result "ConTEXT" was not obliterated by questionmarks, and I felt cheated when I saw the answer.

18 years ago #

Thanks for the alert Amski. On my server I'm forced to use either PHP4 which allows me to download web pages (like the Google one), or PHP5 which allows me to use the case-independent replace function (which would have blanked "ConTEXT").. both features unfortunately are mutually exclusive to each other!

18 years ago #

Ooops, I can just use a regex... I'll fix it.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is really neat! :-)

I know we shouldn't be cheating, but I couldn't resist right-clicking in the iframe... and I know I'm not cheating anyone but myself but I just couldn't help it!

Perhaps you could encrypt the word you're sending through in the query string and then decrypt it before requesting the page from Google?

18 years ago #

Done :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!