Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Earth Setup Defaults to an Installation of Chrome As Well  (View post)

Shii [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, December 18, 2008
15 years ago10,928 views

Well, one good thing about Windows 2000 is you don't see this bundling.

Jill Bates [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Google is the new Microsoft

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Well there is a big headline telling you about the inclusion of Chrome and you still get the option to decline that offer and only get Google Earth, plus it is not like the homepage is cluttered with unnecessary stuff so that you actually have to search for that option.

So the only thing they could do for the "quick scrollers and clickers" is to label the download button according to the option selected, so that everybody knows what they are getting when they press the mouse button.

Leif902 [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I don't mind so much when vendors place other software they want to promote in a bundle with their more popular software (well, I mind, but it's a valid business practice that works, so I can't blame them)... but having it checked by default is not good (regardless of how readily you advertise the fact that it's there).

It's downright sneaky; sounds like something Apple would do; not Google.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Bad Google! Yes Chrome is amazing, but don't force it on people! I hate bundled software.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yuck! That's disgusting. (Although it's worth pointing out that Google previously installed Google Toolbar instead of Chrome when you tried to download Google Earth. There's a screenshot at the bottom of this post: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/04/google-updater-new-installer-for-google.html)

Here's a link to Google Earth without the Updater and the Chrome bundling. Just the pure Google Earth: http://earth.google.com/tour/thanks-win4.html

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

Google should give me the option to check the box, not the option to uncheck the box!

FAIL

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think they have definitely crossed the line.

Iain Purdie [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Fail, definitely. In fairness to Apple, who I don't like and despised utterly for their auto-ticking of Safari on the standard Apple updater, at least that was also clear on the list.

However, while I accept that updates to existing products can legitimately be pre-ticked, new products shouldn't be. Whether or not they're in big letters at the top of the page.

I'm *still* working on PCs with an unused Safari install and users who don't know how it got there. When I mention how, they ask me if I'm sure it's OK to remove it – or will it damage their iTunes?

Via [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Google, you are blowing it here.

C'mon, uncheck that box. You're just gonna end up pissing off people. It's a bad, evil practice.

And you know it.

Make it available, sing its praises, but

uncheck that box, dammit.

You're shootin' yourself in the foot.

Don't be evil.

Case closed.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Don't really mind them them bundling it, if at least the button would change accordingly, in other words; If the checkbox is ticked then change the text to: "Download Google earth and Google chrome now"

mf [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

These bundling pracitices are annoying as of other vendors.
It's one of those things that jeopardize trust for Google as it's not putting the user first.

I was recently surprised to find a Google toolbar installed on my computer and it turned out it was bundled with a Flash player. I'm sure you could probably find a notice of it somewhere in the flash download process but who reads this stuff?

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I don't know if you guys noticed but the ad at the bottom of this thread is an ad for Chrome from Google. Haha! I wonder how much that ad costs Google ;)

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

also check this out:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=browser&btnG=Search

AdSense is also probably setup to trigger a Chrome ad whenever the text mentions a browser...

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alex K
Google has always used its AdSense to promote its services.

jukln [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

>Well there is a big headline telling you about the inclusion of Chrome

So what? Is there also a big headline telling you about the inclusion of IE? If Microsoft wanted, could it get Google to add the big headline, telling you about the inclusion of IE?

Since the answer to both of those questions is a most resounding NO, I would have to say that this Google practice is, as Ionut says, disgusting.

One commenter (Leif902) writes ("well, I mind, it's a valid business practice that works, so I can't blame them"). To me, that is a sad commentary of the current state of affairs. So what if it works? Google is supposed to be a "better" company than that. Google is supposed to have principles. Microsoft doesn't have principles, so it bundles, and does "what works" because it cares more about itself than its users. Google used to have principles, used to do not "what works", but "what was right", because it cares more about its users than itself.

Google has now adopted those very same "it works" Microsoft business practices. We need to realize that.

Verdict? Fail.

Max Huber [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have tricked me with this, the only option I had was do abort the Chrome download. I really do not like it.

Sebastian Thürrschmidt [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Strange, I've got Google Earth 4.3 on my machine but couldn't find any option to install Chrome with it. The package from the Medibuntu repository must be broken ...

Just kidding, of course. No Chrome, no evil, that's how Google passes its "self-proclaimed litmus test" on Linux – by doubly failing it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!