Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google listing the same result twice  (View post)

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 20, 2009
15 years ago6,292 views

I am starting to be so extremely frustrated by this, since google is showing more and more often results from related search query's quite often it will actually show the same result twice like in http://www.google.com/search?q=checkbox ... I wonder why google over looked such an obvious complication... or was it an design choice...

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Kevin P. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Google reminds me more and more why I dislike "smart" software. Search for [feit sewing], and you'll see "Did you mean: felt sewing Top 2 results shown[...]" Even if you prefix the word "feit" with a plus sign, you still get those irrelevant hits right at the top. There is a sewing company named Feit. I don't want "felt", but I can't seem to turn this annoying "Did you mean" feature off!

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

More interesting (to me) is that Google is attempting to be smart by inserting an extra word into the search. I can't see how this can EVER be an improvement.

If 90% of searches for "checkbox" want the html meaning, then around 90% of the results will already be for this meaning. Why lock out the 10% of results that represent what 10% of the searchers are looking for?

It doesn't seem to make any sense.

Kevin P. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

At least you can turn off the "See results for:" section by prefixing "checkbox" with a plus sign. Granted, not every Google user knows this, but at least the feature is there.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yeah, this is the worst design choice ever. I actually makes using Google harder when it decides to "improve" my query. Even worse if the "improvement" inserts duplicate results.

A search for "sycosis" – http://www.google.com/search?&q=sycosis is a little better, except now the "improved" query of "psychosis is inserted within my real serarch results. At least there are no duplicates. I'd love it if Google made the autocorrected results explicitly separate from my REAL results again. I'm pretty sure the UI wizards there can make this clean and usable, even if they steal ideas from other search engines (Yahoo Search Assist?). Or revert this behavior.

15 years ago #

For me it was the third time I actually saw duplicate results (or at least the same site, not entirely sure whether it actually was the exact same page), but sometimes even more frustrating is that if you create some new kind of website you will always choose a name with no or practically no results in google (except if the name is simply representing your product extremely well), yet with google suggestions this often results in your service listening somewhere as the third... e.g. recently I created http://dygnatus.greatslovakia.com , even though the site was initially only for an extremely small group intended, it doesn't make sense at all that the main forum topic (google didn't index my own site yet) is still listed third, even though the name dygnatus is listed at least 10 times on the forum page... on the other hand the same feature sometimes takes away the time to click the "did you mean link" and in these cases one doesn't even realize, especially with "wiki %s" searches this must happen a lot to me...

15 years ago #

First four or five results are the same: (just interesting to note), so actually clicking the did you mean link is less and less necessary and that was after all the biggest advantage of google over some other search engines in my opinion...
   http://www.google.com/search?q=png+alpha+transparancy+gd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t
   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=dM6eSbCFK4Kc-gbo_ei3Dg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=png+alpha+transparency+gd&spell=1

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> but sometimes even more frustrating is that if you create
> some new kind of website you will always choose a name
> with no or practically no results in google (except if the
> name is simply representing your product extremely well),
> yet with google suggestions this often results in your
> service listening somewhere as the third...

Exactly! The same happened with Sketchory recently, pushing down the result Google in the past would have likely ranked first, where it belongs. I called it the "Clippy Effect", but then heard that maybe Google plans an iterative update to improve this in the future.

Search Engine Optimization Service [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Nice post!!!

But at least you can turn off the "See results for:" section by prefixing "checkbox" with a plus sign. Granted, not every Google user knows this, but at least the feature is there.

[signature removed]

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

You really do not get it? Google engineers who were learning stuff from w3schools now donate loads of traffic to that website

Peter [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

i actually don't see what the problem is.

George R [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I just got a SERP for [checkbox -WhatAsked] that intermingled two extra results (twelve in all) without a bar or "did you mean".
There was no demacation, but it did mention "Code Snippets" before two entries

http://www.google.com/search?q=checkbox+-WhatAsked.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

That's a universal code search result.

seo extreme [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Google reminds me more and more why I dislike "smart" software. Search for [feit sewing], and you'll see "Did you mean: felt sewing Top 2 results shown[...]" Even if you prefix the word "feit" with a plus sign, you still get those irrelevant hits right at the top. There is a sewing company named Feit. I don't want "felt", but I can't seem to turn this annoying "Did you mean" feature off!

[Signature removed – Tony]

alexandrojv [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

it might have something to do with the SearchWiki, maybe Google stuff is getting mixed with people's SearchWiki stuff

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!