Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] But I don't want the new facebook!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, March 14, 2009
15 years ago3,260 views

They've done it again!!
Yesterday night I got the new layout too.. :/
all my friends hate it, and now i know how they feel..

Anyone here likes it?
(I know Martin doesn't :P)

Is there any way to bring our beloved facebook to the way it was?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The problem is there is too many (useless) things to read.
** OLD version: "X has leaved a message on Y's wall."
** NEW version: "X has leaved a message on Y's wall: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .."

15 years ago #

David Likes Tom's comment
http://b.static.ak.fbcdn.net/images/icons/like.gif

:P

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Talking about me by any chance? :P

I could go on a rant for ages but to cut it down to one sentence:
It broke my custom skin and moved things I want to read to the right side :(

Admittedly someone will make a new stylish script and I'll use that.

The other part of my argument is that in FB v2 all the changes where in the center, in v3 it moves half the changes to the right had side, which I don't like.

I do have other minor complaints as well but I'll leave them for now :P

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I guess I actually like it quite well... everybody is complaining, but all the personal stuff is now in the center and overall it just feels like everybody is complaining out of habit... its always that way, microsoft introduced ribbon: everybody complained, google introduced new gmail: everybody complained, etc, etc, etc... personally I would like it to be slightly less "round", but that's a minor detail... the new interfaces for the application news feeds on the left (if they are new) are great (photos and links are the only ones using it I assume... didn't check the docs nor any much others)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

In other news, Bebo changed layouts (optionally) and provided a new layout, font, and no new features, yet in the process making you scroll more and it also breaks skins.

Good Job AOL!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

With the new Bebo layout I can see what their trying to do. However the thing I disagree with is that you need to have flash player to see the header of the page, admittedly most people have this (and even comes pre-installed on PCs these days) I feel this is unnecessary.

Also all the other pages (Photos, Videos, Friends etc) still use the old navigation :/

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've noticed the new new facebook doesn't use statuses in the third person. Now they can finally follow through on their promise to adopt jabber/xmpp without that being an issue.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

When you write a status update it dosn't have your name at the start, but people are still writing them the same as on the updates it shows up like this:

"[b]Martin Rix [/b] has a spork. Be afraid.... be very afraid"

(I know you can't make things bold on this forum, I just needed a way to illustrate what happens)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Mrrix32, I think that's because they're doing a gradual roll-out. Some users (and particularly e.g. iPhone users) are still seeing their name followed by "is" before the status update.

15 years ago #

Well, at least the mobile version is still ok..
I really can't understand anything with this new design..

[put at-character here] David ;
Look, when the 2nd version of facebook was rolled-out, i wasn't part of the gang who said it sucks and they want the old one back..
I tried looking for its good things, and not bad things. And to be honest, i actually found some useful things.

On this one, i really have to say that i hate it.
You can hardly understand a single thing from your homepage. whether it's in the middle or on the sides.
It's also frustrating to see the facebook homepage with the new design, but all the other pages are still with the old one. (it may be because of what Tony said).

Anyhow facebook,
i think it's a bad decision to center ALL information in a single place. status, updates, photos, what quiz did he/she take and what the results are etc' (and i mean all, starting with your friends through groups 'till the pages you've chosen to become a fan of some band or person)
It's TOO much facebook!
If you're not going to change it back, then change it to something better. You must have seen the mass of users who hate it. Do something about it.
There are plenty of other social services and i've chosen yours. Please don't force to me to move again.

P.S.
Now, when i think about it, MySpace isn't that bad after all..

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

No, the mobile version has changed David. Now it's more difficult to read messages or post a new status!

15 years ago #

Try m.facebook.com Tom

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

For those who have the new layout, if you click on your own profile name at the top, you get something close to the old layout.

The new layout forces TOO MUCH information, unless you have few friends/groups/apps. Seems to me like they're trying to borrow concepts from GMail, but are doing it wrong.

Meh, I'll see if their options on the "filters" improve so I can tone it down some.

15 years ago #

I thought this day would never come!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/161932/facebook_caves_to_user_gripes_over_redesign.html

[URL fixed – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!