Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft Announcing Web-Based Office  (View post)

T [PersonRank 2]

Monday, July 13, 2009
14 years ago4,695 views

a full blown office with all(useless) features?
this is going to be so slow...
except maybe on chrome, and firefox and opera, who have done javascript optimization... but then javascript is still much slower than native code...

or maybe such a office program is only for ie, because activeX is needed?

let's wait and see

hsy [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

will look quite unuseable on netbooks, where chrome os is heading at, with the ribbon bar and so on ;)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"Customers’ requirements have changed, as have their expectations of technology. While Office is synonymous with desktop productivity, the idea of “desktop” has changed from a PC-centric notion to one in which people are empowered on the PC, on the phone, and with a browser.

Our customers don’t use one device, but rather several. They want a seamless, synchronized experience across those devices to help them work smarter, faster, and better. Office Web applications will make that a reality."

(Chris Capossela, Senior Vice President, Microsoft Business Division – http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/Features/2008/oct08/10-28PDCOffice.mspx)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

If past history is anything to go by, they will require the use of IE to use it...

OneNote – The one product from MicroSoft that I consider good and intuitive, I wish they had a mac version, though, in the iWork style of doing things rather than the Office:Mac 2008 or even 2004 way, such a handy application... I mean, program.

On another note (no pun intended), if applications are called programs on Windows, why are web applications called applications and not programs, considering Windows has the dominant marketshare? Are programs a specific type of application? Sorry to derail, but I've always wondered this...

14 years ago #

<< If past history is anything to go by, they will require the use of IE to use it... >>

Not true.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut, it you know that web-based Office won't need IE to work fully, a confirming URL would be helpful.

But James didn't say web-based Office would need IE, he said it would need IE "if past history is anything to go by" and that's certainly true.

Sheldon Huelin [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Currently, I think Zoho is the King (or Queen), Google and Microsoft should be taking notes.

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

14 years ago #

This is a win for Google.

By developing Google Docs and showing what's possible in the browser, they've managed to push the development of Office into the cloud where Microsoft, unshielded by their OS monopoly will have to innovate to be competitive.

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger:

From TechCrunch's post (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/13/the-complete-guide-to-microsofts-office-2010/):

<< Microsoft says that its browser versions have been tested on all major browsers aside from internet Explorer, including Firefox and Safari. Office 2010 is still being tested and reworked to function on Chrome. >>

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger I know! i used to hate having to change useragents to use SkyDrive :D

[put at-character here]Ionut, thanks for confirming, I hope it works with Office:Mac whenever the new one comes out.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Thanks for the link, Ionut. I appreciate it.

In other words, MS Office doesn't work on Chrome. It might work properly on Chrome sometime in the future.

Adviniidevalp [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Also that we would do without your very good phrase

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Video can be watched here:
http://www.microsoft.com/video/en/us/details/ebf079e6-6972-43dc-9781-14c013c38e82?vp_evt=eref&vp_video=See%20What%27s%20New%20in%20Microsoft%20Web%20Applications%202010

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!