Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Not Everyone Understands English Slogans  (View post)

HT [PersonRank 1]

Friday, October 16, 2009
14 years ago7,520 views

Sounds like Google translate... :))

Ozh [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

This report from Spiegel has a serious potential, fun wise. I can imagine how many slogans could be totally misunderstood :)

Andy [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

The most popular is "Come in and find out" from Douglas. Most people think it says that they can go in and also find their way out again :)

surendra [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Its very much funny...

CW [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Reminds me of the story I heard years ago when Coke started advertising in Communist China. Seems "Coke...It's the real thing," their slogan at the time, translated into something like "Your dead relatives will haunt you," or words to that effect.

Daniel [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

hihi this is really funny and quite true too. We germanĀ“s are just stupid creatures ;)

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Do we call this Cross Culture issues?

Jo [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I'm german and read the article at Spiegel Online. I'm not quite sure how representative the study is. My own experience is that nobody makes translations as stupid as "Broadcast yourself" -> "Mache Deinen Brotkasten selbst".

The whole thing seems very far-fetched to me.

[sig removed]

Dr.S.P.Padmaprasad [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I am of the opinion that the advertises are wrong and Germans are right.German should be used in Germany by priority.Why should English? Enlish should be limited to international transactions. Marketers and others should use local language instead of giving wrong ads,

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!