Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Chrome is pretty cool.  (View post)

Eric Warnke [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, September 19, 2010
13 years ago27,458 views

I definitely notice the lack of password protection and basic things like print preview. Chrome isn't all that.

sdfgsdfgsdfg [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

Who needs print preview. All that does is confirm that the webpage will be screwed up when it prints. But you should have expected that. They have never printed well. Anyway, aren't we living in a paperless office?

Ashu [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

I miss confirm to close all tabs, 2 boxes for search or address bar, seriously if I don't want to search why the hell my browser is suggesting me, print preview is also imp because lots of things we can fix before printing it saves lots of paper which we will print wrong.

Patrix [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

For Print Preview get something like FinePrint installed if you are on a PC (on a Mac it's available from the OS anyway).

Daniel [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Chrome is what Firefox wanted to be: a fast browser that doesn't suffer from featurism.

Of course you can always come up with things you miss or want different (I want spell checker language detection, bookmark tags, and a screenshot feature...), but if you are honest all those things aren't that much important and easy to workaround.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Sometimes the "little things" matter more than the "big picture".

On my system, the text is lighter and more spidery when the same webpage is displayed by Chrome, than when it is displayed by Firefox.

So I use Firefox.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

What I don't like with Chrome is that the guys behind it remove and/or change options in order to simplify all the software for end-users. And that without warning.
For example, I've noticied few days ago that when I click on a link to open it in a new tab, the new tab is open just after the current tab. Before, you were able to chose to open it in the last tab, just as Firefox allow you to do.
There are several example like that, the case of the "hidden http protocol in address bar" is one of them.

Google tends to change things to get more users, but they do not always care about current users....

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I'm currently using Firefox as my default browser. Next to it I use Chrome for applications like Gmail and Cotweet. What I mis in Chrome is a possibility to put the favorites bar constantly open to the left like in Firefox. I use that a lot and if that's possibly maybe I would switch over to Chrome although the new IE9 is an option too.

Extensions that I use in Firefox are available for Chrome.

Roman [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

[put at-character here]Daniel
>and a screenshot feature
There's Screen Capture extension (made by Google) for that:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cpngackimfmofbokmjmljamhdncknpmg

ChromeExt [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Chrome also doesn't have a decent extension API. For example it is not possible to do content blocking (you can hide content after its downloaded using CSS, but you can not actually block it). There are many other things you can not even extend chrome to do.

Ahmed Fouad [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Google chrome highly UNSTABLE and i mean it

Peter Kasting [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOMHTML: No, you have never had an option to open new tabs all the way at the end. You will get that automatically with ctrl-t/New Tab Button/Alt-Enter in address bar, though.

[put at-character here]ChromeExt: Content blocking has been possible (and included in adblocking extensions) via some WebKit extensions Apple put in around the Safari 4 timeframe. A more powerful network API is in progress.

William [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

I started using Chrome recently and some passwords like my library card number are saved in Firefox, but not in Chrome. That seems pretty annoying. It won't even offer to save that as a password.

cram [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

I find that logging out from my web hosting account's Cpanel doesn't work in Chrome. One can still access the account.

And Youtube videos often crash when I open them in Chrome (which has never happened to me in Firefox).

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Google Chrome is going to be everywhere! Chrome OS is simply chrome without a host operating system.

You'll be able to log into Chrome which will then log you into all your Google account and many others. You will then recover all your preferences such browsing history, extensions used, bookmarks etc ...

Note that at the moment the team at Chrome are synchronizing. However the right path is not synchronization but rather pulling the preferences based on user profiles. Synchronization means the data is saved on the host computer and makes it difficult for multi user support.

Bookmarking, history, downloading ... all those should be taken online (and not synchronized). The browser glues all these services together and provide the entry point to the Web.

Serge [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

Chrome is fast? Don't tell me that. My Chrome is very slow having only 12 tabs open. At the same time I have Firefox 3.6.x with about 60 tabs, and it still works fine.

Steve [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Chrome is suppose to be less prone to problems but I am getting error messages that affect my ability to open Gmail. One message reads, web site has a redirect loop. The other gives me an error message #310, too many redirects. Haven't seen this problem with IE and have not been able to resolve the problem. This is occuring on other web sites as well.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!