Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogoscoped blog still active?

Callum Prentice [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, January 26, 2011
13 years ago18,331 views

Is Philipp's blog still being updated? It's been over a month since an entry was posted. I browsed through the archives but didn't see an "I'm off for a while" type message – anyone know?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I know he has a lot of work with an iPad application. Perhaps he has been acquiered by Steve Jobs ^^

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

See

http://www.blogoscoped.com/forum/174250.html

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

[put at-character here]tomhtml applescoped.com?

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

13 years ago #

Everything comes to an end, sometime. Philipp's blog has always been a very helpful resource, with some really great content ... and that content will still be quite useful, I'm sure, but as Philipp pointed out, he's just not up to it anymore, and there are enough other quality blogs covering similar topics.

I'm assuming he doesn't have the necessary time, and it helps that those others are out there. But with that said, none of those others has ever been on my "daily reading" list, while this blog was for a long time.

It's kinda the end of an era.

I'd like to see Philipp continue blogging; if not about Google, then about his own current adventures. He'd probably want to use a separate blog, though, since the audience for this one expects Google/SEO-related content. philipp.lenssen.com, anyone?

Of course, there's still www.outer-court.com ...

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

For some reason this is one of the only sites I keep on checking, despite not having any new news anymore for ages. Back a few months/years ago it was always odd and fun to see how Blogoscoped was always first by far with any google-related news :D It would be great if he would consider giving editing rights for the blog to a number of the active forum members (e.g. Ionut, TomHTML, WebSonic, James Xuan etc.)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> I'd like to see Philipp continue blogging; ... He'd probably
> want to use a separate blog, though

If Philipp wants to do this, I'd say to keep using this blog. It doesn't have "Google" in the URL, and the byline could be changed to "Contains 10% Google", or the blog title could be changed to "Blogoscoped".

I see no advantage to losing the continuity with the existing audience. The blog has regularly featured posts from Philipp about what he is doing, so it wouldn't be a big change.

> It would be great if he would consider giving editing rights
> for the blog to a number of the active forum members

That would also be great. But to make any of this worthwhile, the spam problem needs to be addressed.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Well, to have a "traditional" multi-author Blogoscoped blog was actually something I tried to get started some time ago. I guess it never quite worked out. There was a time when several people had blog editing rights but somehow, it might perhaps need a different type of managing for that to be a success. That being said, what we always had at Blogoscoped.com is in fact a sort of multi-author blog anyway. Not just thanks to all those who did write guest posts, or the blog posts which I wrote but which are mostly community-driven, but also the great forum. That's why I'm still wondering if the forum should perhaps move to the blog page, and the blog move to another page here.

I find that all of us regulars have such a great place and spirit here at Blogoscoped. I'm a bit sad that the front page is a bit "hanging up in the air" (is that an English expression?). But it's true, I'm at the moment working exclusively on iPad two-player games (http://versuspad.com), other than reading the forum here (and of course reading Ionut's terrific blog). I'm actually right now in the final phases of a new game, with a Mac to my left (for compiling), a Windows laptop in the middle (for programming and graphics, I'm now using Corona) and an iPad to my right.

George R [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I have my own copy of a link to go directly to the blogoscoped forum page.

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/

That is how I access blogoscoped. When there is a new blog entry it is usally mentioned in the forum. I then check the blog page. I only rarely check the blog page otherwise.

If I were a user that normally checked blogoscoped through a home page that rarely changed, I would reduce the frequency of checking it to a point where checking it may no longer be a regular habit. I suspect this is the exposure newcomers and many casual readers have.

Perhaps the home page could have links to very recent forum threads. To be different than the forum page, perhaps this could be the last three to five new threads posted from an IP white list.

If Philipp makes such a change, I recommend a blog entry with an editorial on the change.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I dont know.. I never hang out on the front pages.. I always perfer the forum!!

So Phillp is onto his next big thingy .. LOL :)-

13 years ago #

I have changed my bookmarks on desktop machine and on this Nokia device to point to the forum since October already....

And I believe that we have "lost" some newcomers due to massive amount of comment spam which they have seen. But it appears that spam problem is partly resolved now!

13 years ago #

But today comment spam posts are more than 8 hours old :(
The challenge to make Blogoscoped spam-free needs to be resolved before making any major changes or decisions.

13 years ago #

Juha, yesterday I visited the forum every hour and deleted the spam, so that's why it appeared that the spam problem was "partly resolved". But all of us need to sleep.

I think the days of unrestricted anonymous posting on the internet are ending.

I agree that there's no point making any future plans for the site unless the spam problem is addressed.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Sorry to hear that Roger. I set back the maximum age for a thread back to just some days this week, but apparently that also didn't help. I wanted to look into Akismet spam protection, too.

13 years ago #

I use Akismet on my WordPress sites, where it catches over 95% of the spam. But it won't work so well here, because you don't have an email address to include in the data that is sent to Akismet.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!