Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Lowest Caste, the Yellow Badges

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, May 1, 2011
13 years ago20,733 views

"In September 2007 I was hired jointly by Transvideo Studios and Google, both headquartered in Mountain View California. Transvideo had a contract with Google and took care of 100% of their video production in Mountain View, and sometimes elsewhere. My labor was sold to Google in the form of a 9-5 job. I had access to a personally unprecedented amount of privileges, but was not entitled to the ski trips, DisneyLand adventures, stock options, and holiday cash bonuses from their team of temporary Santa Clauses. Thousands of people with red badges (such as me, my team, and most other contractors) worked amongst thousands of people with white badges (as Full-time Googlers). Interns are given green badges. However, a fourth class exists at Google that involves strictly data-entry labor, or more appropriately, the labor of digitizing. These workers are identifiable by their yellow badges, and they go by the team name ScanOps. They scan books, page by page, for Google Book Search. The workers wearing yellow badges are not allowed any of the privileges that I was allowed – ride the Google bikes, take the Google luxury limo shuttles home, eat free gourmet Google meals, attend Authors[put at-character here]Google talks and receive free, signed copies of the author’s books, or set foot anywhere else on campus except for the building they work in. They also are not given backpacks, mobile devices, thumb drives, or any chance for social interaction with any other Google employees. Most Google employees don’t know about the yellow badge class. Their building, 3.1459~, was next to mine, and I used to see them leave everyday at precisely 2:15 PM, like a bell just rang, telling the workers to leave the factory. Their shift starts at 4 am."

More: http://www.andrewnormanwilson.com/portfolios/70411-workers-leaving-the-googleplex

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

W
T
F
?

Eric [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Red badges can't speak to or adknowledge yellow badges?? That's about as evil as a sign above a restaurant with a big sign on it that says "Colored" with a big arrow underneath pointing to a different part of town". I'll talk to whomever I please thank you very much.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Ehm, may I point out that this probably isn't true in the first place, had it been true than at the very least somebody would have mentioned white and red badges previously? I first assumed it to be true as well actually, but by doing some proper research which didn't confirm the story in any way I now strongly believe it to not be true at all. Especially because even if such a system would be in place, it would be a lot less obvious.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!