Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Firefox Bug with Keyboard Input?  (View post)

b.p. [PersonRank 1]

Monday, January 30, 2006
14 years ago

I get this bug all the time – one way I do get out of it is to click the field repeatedly until the cursor appears on the text field as opposed to the search. But when that become too annoying, I turned off automatic search (begin finding when you begin typing) and it seemed to have prevented it from happening (for now).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Strange. I don't have "begin finding when you begin typing" activated...

arno. [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

As a workaround for those bugs, I use mozex, which allows to edit textareas in an external editor :
nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mo ...

14 years ago #

Very nice tool Arno. This tutorial helped me work with it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedi ...

steve dp [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Yea I get this bug in the location bar, I can't use the arrow keys to move back and forth, I cant ctrl+a to select all, or ctrl+c to copy, i cant backspace

I have to restart to fix it...

David [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I've had that problem many times, among other Firefox bugs, like problems with selecting for auto-fill drop-down menus. I thought open-source software was supposed to get fixed faster?

14 years ago #

The find-in-textareas bug is in since a pre-1.0 final version...

Mr. Wilson [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I get that all the time. It drives me nuts! I chalk it up as YAFFB (yet another Firefox bug).

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I get something similar, it goes to the address bar instead though.

Paul L. [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I've found that when it happens, hit F1 to bring up help and then clear the help window..at that point, I can then type again in the firefox window without the search pane popping up insistently.

DZ [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Happens to me too in the addressbar, can't use arrow keys, ctrl, home or end, the rest of the keys still function as normal

Dan [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Another way is you can switch to another app (ANY AP) and press a key (ANY KEY). When you switch back you can type as normal.

Very frustrating bug.

thewebguy [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

yeah i get this all the time.

i'll try that "f1" fix next time if i remember it. before that i would usually open gmail and right click in a compose window and click "paste" from the context menu. then it would work, but your way is much quicker hah

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!