Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Firefox Bug with Keyboard Input?  (View post)

b.p. [PersonRank 1]

Monday, January 30, 2006
18 years ago

I get this bug all the time – one way I do get out of it is to click the field repeatedly until the cursor appears on the text field as opposed to the search. But when that become too annoying, I turned off automatic search (begin finding when you begin typing) and it seemed to have prevented it from happening (for now).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Strange. I don't have "begin finding when you begin typing" activated...

arno. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

As a workaround for those bugs, I use mozex, which allows to edit textareas in an external editor :
https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mozex107-en.html

18 years ago #

Very nice tool Arno. This tutorial helped me work with it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MozEx_tutorial

steve dp [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yea I get this bug in the location bar, I can't use the arrow keys to move back and forth, I cant ctrl+a to select all, or ctrl+c to copy, i cant backspace

I have to restart to fix it...

David [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've had that problem many times, among other Firefox bugs, like problems with selecting for auto-fill drop-down menus. I thought open-source software was supposed to get fixed faster?

18 years ago #

The find-in-textareas bug is in since a pre-1.0 final version...

Mr. Wilson [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I get that all the time. It drives me nuts! I chalk it up as YAFFB (yet another Firefox bug).

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I get something similar, it goes to the address bar instead though.

Paul L. [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've found that when it happens, hit F1 to bring up help and then clear the help window..at that point, I can then type again in the firefox window without the search pane popping up insistently.

DZ [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Happens to me too in the addressbar, can't use arrow keys, ctrl, home or end, the rest of the keys still function as normal

Dan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Another way is you can switch to another app (ANY AP) and press a key (ANY KEY). When you switch back you can type as normal.

Very frustrating bug.

thewebguy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

yeah i get this all the time.

i'll try that "f1" fix next time if i remember it. before that i would usually open gmail and right click in a compose window and click "paste" from the context menu. then it would work, but your way is much quicker hah

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!