Google Blogoscoped

Forum

IE7 Beta 2 Available  (View post)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, February 1, 2006
18 years ago

My biggest gripe is the funny gaps in the rendering of the top part of gmail and a few other weird rendering bugs that don't seem to happen anywhere else. Once this is actually released, i'm sure the sites will conform, but until then it's a tad annoying.

By the way, Google Toolbar crashed IE7 every once in a while for me, so if you're having trouble and have the google toolbar, try uninstalling it.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I installed it, but had to uninstall it straight after. Every 10 seconds or so I got the dial-up dialog popping up after i installed it, even though I was connected to the internet and IE was even getting the pages for me. Odd. Uninstalled in now, and everything is back to normal :)

Simon Roe [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

You can bypass the "genuine Windows" check just by unpacking it with winrar and deleting a few files.

I think it's about the worst thing MS has ever done – WTF is up with the toolbar? Unlike EVERY other windows program, it's not at the top of the window.

Everyting else: pft. I don't care about anything MS does any more, they just make bad software that doesn't interest me. I will need to check all my sites and re hack them because not only does it not comply to a lot of standards, it changes the way it breaks pages. Great, more hacks, Thanks Microsoft.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Simon, agreed about the menu. And after 15 minutes of playing around with customizing toolbars etc., I find it's just not possible to put it on top in any way either.

I updated my post. The test period is already over for me and I'm back to Firefox (and its bugs) for now.

game kid [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The LAST thing I'll ever complain about is the "misplaced" menu.

That means the Address bar won't be moved around or hidden by malicious programs which shall ActiveX remain nameless, without some heavier-duty work. Thank GOD. When it comes to the Internet, you're not the only one who wants to customize your address bar (hint: http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=599).

The moved and shrunken Refresh and Stop buttons, on the other hand...

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Hey Philipp:

Why do you think that the Firefox community hasn't fixed those two huge glaring bugs? It seems like, since their support comes from many who blog, wiki, etc., that they would fix it.

About IE7: Just visually, the new browser looks like crap, like a big grey window. Thank God for Firefox Themes and extensions. Do you think that Microsoft will give us the source code?? :/

18 years ago #

Bratsche, I can't imagine why they didn't fix it yet. Actually, these bugs weren't in before the 1.0 release. This is a clear sign of feature creep: they had a working search function which they changed last-minute, thereby introducing a new bug that's far worse.

matt knowlton [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

there's a firefox extension that gets around that (textarea search)
also there's a update to firefox. 5.01

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

At first i was pretty stunned, then i was kinda dissapointed. But i've stuck with it for a while and i'm starting to like it more now. It has some serious problems but it has a lot of potential. MS might just pull this one out.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that it's no longer microsoft internet explorer--its now windows internet explorer? They're doing some major rebranding with some of this windows live stuff...

18 years ago #

Matt, thanks, can you tell me where I can find the textarea search extension?

me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

>>You can bypass the "genuine Windows" check just by unpacking it with winrar and deleting a few files.
Any chance you could tell me which ones? (And in case you're wondering, my windows is perfectly legitimate)
>>Matt, thanks, can you tell me where I can find the textarea search extension?
I found it here: http://wargers.org/mozilla/oldfindtexarea.xpi It'll popup the old find box whenever a textarea is selected.

Shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What annoys be about this "windows genuine advantage crap" is that I paid for my legit Korean version of Windows, which I had to buy with the computer when I bought in Korea. Of course, I'm not Korean so I wanted an English version and they installed a knock off copy for me. So I paid for Korean windows, have a knockoff version of English windows and now I can't update my software. That's lame, in my opinion. Luckily I got around most of it with the Trxie/Greasemonkey scripts but now I can't get this beta installed. I'm happy to know it's os buggy it's not worth it yet anyway.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This looks like an AVOID to me.
I'll stay with 6.0 til this sucker goes gold.

Simon Roe [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The Menu issue:
To explain, I am a Mac user most of the time. One of the nice things about OS X is that most of the apps (the Apple ones anyway) work in the same way. They have very well laid out guidelines for GUIs. On Microsoft doesn't seem to think about that at all when making software, and changing something that is a very core part of the OS (the windows) is a big step IMHO. It doesn't help users at all, and I can see no reason for it.

game kid, do you really think that this will stop browser hijacking like CoolWebSearch? I bet there is a reg hack that will change the menu back to the 'proper' place. I can see no reason for this change.

The "Genuine Windows" issue:
I am happy to tell people how to do this, but I don't think here is the correct place. I think I will wait for Philipps permission before I do. Anyway, I'm sure you can use google to search for it, It involves making a blank file and deleting 1 folder and 1 file.

18 years ago #

Well, even though "Genuine Windows" crashed (it opened a page in IE6, which then returned an error, which then crashed IE6), the setup worked...

David Thomas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You can have ClearType in Firefox, and all other Windows applications. I've got ClearType in Firefox at the moment. What you need to do is to call up Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance tab -> Effects button -> Check "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" -> Set ClearType in the drop-down.

Joseph Micallef [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I too found a bug which nobody else seems to have found in this forum. Some embedded flash .swf files worked while others did not show – and this happened right after installing IE beta 2! I ended up returning back to the previous version. Otherwise I would have liked it.

John V. [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Although I am connected to the Internet IE Beta 2 keeps telling me that I am
not connected. Guess I'll have to go back to IE 6 until the bugs have been
worked out.

Geoff M [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Try this for Toobar to top:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerToolbarWebBrowser]
"ITBar7Position"=dword:00000001

Geoff M [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Don'f forget to add the approriate Backslash "" in the right spots

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Are you ready?

Coming soon to a computer near you: IE 8, IE 9, IE 10. Bill Gates announced new IE versions will be released every 9-12 months!

Forever Beta? If Vista's release has been pushed back, and IE 7 is taking it's time in development, can we expect 8, 9, 10, etc to be on-time and stable?

Just wondering...

Paranomad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I made a script wich lets you add any search provider
http://www.paranomad.com/ie7SearchProvider/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!