Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Googlefasting  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, February 28, 2006
18 years ago

I think Yahoo search is almost as good as Google search, so Chris is just overreacting.

Googlist [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Pirillo's is an excellent experiment, I think. Most of us, particularly those who read this blog, could not manage long without sneaking a Google search or Gmail email during such a fast. The real question, I think, is what would all of these daily tasks (finding contact info, mapping locations, reading reviews) be like without the power of search engines at all (nevermind if it's Google or Yahoo or Ask)? So much of our life in the physical world relies on information acquired via online search tools... In the end, Google is replaceable, but search is not.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Searchfasting, anyone?

18 years ago #

http://www.webmasterbrain.com/seo-tools/seo-experiments/the-search-engine-experiment/test-results/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Cia... ahh, thats a good thread of conversation happening at the link,.thks for the pointer.

At the end of the day – does it really matter which search engine one uses ?? what matters is the result. People who us Yahoo will continue to use Yahoo and people who use google will continue to use google. Google has the advantage as its become a 'verb' , but if there suddenly exists a big gap between yahoo or google or for that matter of fact MSN.(read as any se), then users will swtich becase they will want those additonal features and benifits..

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Nowadays you might as well just fast from the internet if your not gonna Google.

Varun [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Some things never change and somethings do. Its only very much human to become dependable on someone or something. And google with excellent AI , AJAX etc just comes between someone and something

Hayduke [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

He said the word "joint" during day 5. Awesome.

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

At least we have the luxury of being able to use the un-censored internet, and un-censored search engines!

For a really interesting experiment, try a "China-fast".

Spend a day or spend a week viewing the web ONLY as the Chinese are able to.

Use only Google.cn or Baidu. Use the censored Yahoo blog.

Find a Chinese-based proxy and conduct ALL internet use through that proxy so everything goes through the Great Firewall. Can you blog through it? Can you get the search results you need? See if you can register to get a .cn email address. Will your .cn emails arrive if you use banned words? Can you create a website, and host it on a Chinese server? Will it be yanked by the censors? Send a critical email to a Chinese newspaper--will your account be cancelled? Can you reach Gmail or other .com email accounts?

So many things we take for granted may be extremely difficult or impossible.

Anyone wanna try?

A whole week "in China" may seem like torture, although you won't experience the fear of expecting a midnight knock on the door, of wondering if someone is watching, of possibly ending up in the Laogai (concentration camp) for just speaking your mind. As one who was arrested by the KGB, I've had a very tiny taste of life in a totalitarian regime.

Just do it! It would make for a fascinating blog or magazine article!

Keep us informed here if you are up for the challenge!

18 years ago #

"Realized that my emotional attachment to Google has been transferred to Yahoo!. They're too similar, and I think I've been spoiled by both (not a bad thing, mind you)."

From Day 6
http://chris.pirillo.com/blog/_archives/2006/2/28/1789133.html

Pedro Victor [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

In portuguese: http://www.lombaxomba.com/2006/03/chris-pirillo-est-tentando-passar-duas.html

Jay Amin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I wouldn't want to try Googlefasting :), and I personally think Google is way better than Yahoo or any other directory or search engine. :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!