Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Windows Live Search  (View post)

Mr. Wilson [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, March 8, 2006
18 years ago

I fiddled with it for a while. I'm really not sold on the UI. I understand what they were going for, but it doesn't quite do it for me. I like the relevance of their results, though, mainly because my site comes out a little better than it does under Google :-)

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Covered in this Yahoo!!!! article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060308/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_internet_search;_ylt=AnhWBrMN4e7tMPvXfVkY4icjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Search Engines Web.com [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

The biggest change is the elimination of PAGES --
One continuous scroll for Searching

The Next SERPs probably gets pre-loaded, with each scroll down from the current SERPs

It is in Beta – it probably will be tweaked in the upcoming months – as user responses come in.

It is an interesting concept – think MSN should include a Mindset option like Yahoo has in Beta

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's a test version of their new internet search (http://zuchinis.net/niraj/stories.php?sid=257&tid=30 ...)

There have been several complaints about the scrolling, but it's partly that way because of a cool feature. A never ending list of search results. As you scroll down it fetches additional results.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Also, their image search is pretty slick.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Endless scrolling through pages is not a feature I would want often, especially not at the price of a scroll bar that doesn't behave like a "normal" one. I didn't even understand what was supposed to happen in the first minute of playing around with it. I think they're just focusing on the wrong problems.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What kind of crap search engine requires you to scroll through more than 10 results to find something relevant. Not only is the scroll function (in its current form) buggy and not intuitive, it is also something that if the search quality was good should not be required. Utter madness.

Jorge Silva [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The scroll bar is very similar to the one used in Picasa.
But the big problem is the results: not as relevant as Google's.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

While a good idea, i think the implementation could be a little better. I don't like how far it jumps down and how it takes so long to settle after scrolling. This is actually pretty cool, I just think they UI could use some work to make it more user friendly.

Also, those little sliders (for example, on the image search to change thumbnail size (very cool)) don't behave as expect. The slider was on the far left and I clicked to the right and it jumped all the way to the right. Most apps move the slider one tick when you do this, not all the way across.

The web search seems to be doing pretty well these days, but the image search could probably use some work.

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The scroll really bothers me as well. Try dragging the bar all the way down. The results are scrolling by so quickly you can't possibly read them. Are we just supposed to be looking at the result numbers? How could I possibly identify a relevant result in this manner?

Doremi [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Middle-clicking to open a link in a new tab doesn't not work in firefox. :| I can open links in a new tab through context menu though.

billy and the cloneasuarus [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

have you tried rewroughting the encryptions

Jason Carr [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I kinda hate this thing. I was discussing said hatred with a co-worker, when I made a very humorous discovery. There's a screenshot on my blog at http://beginbiz.blogspot.com/ or do a search for 'this search sucks'.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just tried the WIndows Live Mail interface. Junk. Terrible.

Stephen M. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It's all on one page but when you look in your history it's like twenty pages. Google is/was successful because it's simple. This is just stupid.

TL [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The new scrollbar is exactly like the one on Picasa ;)

TL [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

... and very annoying btw!!!

Eric [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Just thought you should know that I think MS is breaking the advertising rules: checkout my analysis: http://www.marketing.fm/2006/03/10/microsoft-livecom-not-disclosing-where-the-ads-are/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!