Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps Adds Dragger Tool  (View post)

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

Friday, April 14, 2006
18 years ago4,664 views

I believe it's use is for those who don't really understand the draggability of Google Maps. I've sat behind a few people who were simply lost when they needed to move the map around. I think that by showing the user a box that is clearly meant to be moved, it will prevent some confusion.

But I agree, it's pretty useless for a seasoned google maps user and does clutter the interface.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe they could at least remember my last setting (when I collapse and close the browser and come back again, I then wouldn't need to collapse it again...).

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, you're right. It is nice as an option. But not needed by default. I could see how this may be usable for some users.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It also always remains as a map never a satellite view.

Nicholas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The overview map is extremely helpful if you're bowsing the map on broad geographic scale. Try zooming in and moving the map from California to Alabama. It's a lot faster if you use the overview.

The problem is google plots out you're path for you and takes you exactly where you need to be. But if you ever try have to browse the map looking for something without knowing where it is, then it's real helpful.

I think likely they will eventually leave it minimized by default, but they wanted to let everyone know it was there. So, they'll keep it up by default for just a little bit then make the switch.

Esa [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

See the user interface here http://koti.mbnet.fi/ojalesa/exam/editor_v2.html
The overview map is shown when the map is dragged.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It looks like Yahoo map now. except not on the top right corner,

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If your screen resolution is low then it's collapsed by default to give more room to the map.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I for one think that it is nice. maybe it is because My home PC is soooooooo slow.... but it saves minutes on my navigation times when looking around large areas.

Austin Johnson [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

If google is going to copy yahoo's minimap, they should also copy the scroll bar zooming.

European Maps? [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Much more would I appreciate some usable maps in Europe. I seems Google has forgotten the first world ... except the area aorund Torino

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If you want better satellite maps for your city, just make sure there's olympics in your area...

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"If you want better satellite maps for your city, just make sure there's olympics in your area..." – Good thinking.... I'll get right on that! Imagine, the Olympics in the Amish Capital of the world! (I live in Lancaster Pennsylvania)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster%2C_Pennsylvania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_county%2C_Pennsylvania

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!