Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Join Yahoo Mail Beta  (View post)

ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

Monday, April 24, 2006
18 years ago7,906 views

Can someone help me out here with a Zip code?

GregW [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Worked Instantly for me.
Thanks for the tip.
BTW, Yahoo Mail Sucks...Gmail Forever.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You don't need a zip code. Read the latest comment for the updated instructions.

It really works.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yea just did and it worked .. Doesn't beat gmail for me

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's a good upgrade for yahoo mail. But no where near the standard of Gmail.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Slow, slow, slow. Grafical fuc**** ads, no interesting features. I thought that tabs would be cool, but their implementation is really poor.

That´s really bad suprise. From screenshots and even video I expected much better service. Gmail is the king!

Matt [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Worked for me. I wasn't all that impressed with Yahoo Mail Beta either. It's weird, after using gmail for so long (and dropping my hotmail account eons ago) I forgot how annoying those graphical ads are. Viva Gmail!

Rich [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It worked alright, but i agree with everyone else it is so damn slow and those ads take up to much space and are just annoying.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

And if you look at Alexa´s stats – fex monts ago Gmail takes 6% of whole Google traffic, now it´s 8%. So Gmail is growing really fastly.

GMS [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Trick worked, but my goodness, Microsoft Live Mail and this new Yahoo mail are eons behind GMail in terms of speed and usability.

Not even a nice try. BLEH!

GMail rules!

David Saunders [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I've used Yahoo! Mail since about 98 and it is way behind GMail.

I'm stuck with my old freebie address as I do use Yahoo! for my domain names....

David

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think the only things yahoo mail has over gmail are:
1. drag and drop functionality
2. ability to search attachments
erm.. thats all i can think of

and hopefully these will both be implemented in gmail soon anyway.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Drag and drop is useless, in Gmail I can work with mail much quicker without d&d. In Yahoo Mail interface it could be good feature but only because the interface is so cluttered.

Search attachments – yes, that sounds well.

Mark M [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

the initial excitement wore off instantly upon having to deal with such a slow and unresponsive interface (nice blue buttons though). Yahoo's choices to, for instance, not take you immediately to your inbox, are poor ones that curb productivity, and I'm tired of graphical ads. However, I am considering switching to UK content under yahoo simply for some newer ads, because I've really been asked to Watch Shakira On Yahoo!Music way too many times. Glad to know there's nothing I'll miss by sticking with gmail (alas, if gmail would only implement some of the changes they promised back on email's 35th birthday or whenever)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Jim >
I completely agree with you actually. Having d&d would slow Gmail down. Much better to have it the way it is now.
So yahoo has only one advantage then!

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Wow, I thought I was the only one that thought Gmail was better. Yahoo did improve over its old email, but the improvement is not enough to take me away from Gmail. I would miss the quickness, slickness, and the complex-simplicity of gmail too much.

Mark M [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

drag and drop in gmail isn't a necessity, but there needs to be a quicker solution than having to click around with the dropdown box for things like labeling and even the dreaded 'mark unread' that Gmail's inbox vs archive was supposed to do away with – perhaps an option to add custom buttons next to the delete and archive ones would make Gmail much better.

¥€$ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

A much more easy way:
http://f868.mail.yahoo.com/dc/landing

jon [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

for people who might be interested: you can get a windows live mail account here:

http://www2.imagine-msn.com/minisites/sweepstakes/mail/register.aspx?

at least that's how i got one (it's pretty much like outlook)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

WLM =/= Outlook! It might supposed to be like outlook but in reality it is a fiddly cluttered slow piece of rubbish to be honest. Try using WLM for serious email use (like reading emails for instance) it is just too hard! Philipp's video of it is great where he cant find his way out of the calendar.

As for Yahoo! Mail Beta, well it is not good at all. Better than WLM I think, but still not good enough. I don't think Gmail will ever get drag/drop (at least not without a MAJOR interface redesign) since it is just unneeded (and slows everything down).

The operating system thing is silly too! I can't use Yahoo Mail on Windows 98, why not?! Remember the big story when the first beta's of Yahoo mail went out and Yahoo self crowned themselves as "kicking Gmail's butt". Story links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kentbrew/60225257/in/photostream/

http://monkeyfilter.com/link.php/10268

maique madeira [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

worked for me.

tried it. its sooooooo slooooooooow.
back to gmail.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nothing will ever beat Gmail. It's just too pure.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Has Yahoo give any statement on this slight of hand hack ??

if you have a pointer , pls post here .

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yahoo's new mail beta is soooooooooooooo slow. i gave up. and the windows live is easily one of the worst rollouts i have EVER seen. yech.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

After reading 'Yahoo Mail Updates' blog on recent updates and performance increase (http://ymailupdates.com/blog/archives/12) a few days ago, i got a little excited to experiment with their new interface but i had to wait for their major farm to update throughtout their entire networks to use it.

So... i waited patiently and after trying out todays hack to join their Y! Mail Beta i was extremely disappointed with the whole thing. I think i was more interested in the layout concept & colors than the actual lack of functionality and slow performance. After 5 mins "trying" to browse my messages, i got bored and became less-productive in a short time while using the email service. i felt confused after believing all the hype of the new Yahoo Mail Beta and concluded my experiment with a final tought, that Gmail has very much set a new bar in email service.

So to Hotmail, Yahoo & the rest, sorry but i do not wish to try your email services. If you wish to contact me, please email me – (jr[put at-character here]gmail.com). Thanks for trying, and better luck next decade!

PS.. Hey Gmail Team, thanks for the awesome email service! Everyone on the Gmail Team is doing a superb job and wish to tell you that you're all in my 2006 Christmas shopping list =) keep doing what you do best!

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

URL Correction:

http://ymailupdates.com/blog/archives/12

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Weird. It said that I had to have an Windows XP based system, instead of ME that I have right now. Since when does a web app depend on your OS? Jeez, if it's all based on an OS, then why should anyone switch? What if you're in a Siberian web café with Win95, and then you can't access your email.

Obviously, Gmail beats Yahoo Beta for me here.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!