Google Blogoscoped

Forum

No WiFi on Google Press Day  (View post)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 15, 2006
18 years ago4,084 views

That sounds like impossible...
I got my wifi network working in less than a half hour...
What's up with Google engineer??

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

That's life. Lately you seem to be a lot more pessimistic when it comes to Google, going with people who knock Google at every chance they get.

Louis [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I just plugged in Apple's AirPort Express and was wireless in less than a minute.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"That sounds like impossible... "
yes it's possible. It was written by many persons who were at Googleplex last wednesday.

I'm happy to see that Philipp check the same sites as me ;-)

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes if you listen and watch carefully, they had papers with them all time , problems with presentations guys and at the end someone mentioned I guess it was Marissa, here we have wi fi ,, but its too late.
So i think they got wi+fi just before the thank you for coming message.

But was it an accident ? or on purpose ?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"But was it an accident ? or on purpose ?"
Purpose? Like making people watch the live presentation on shareholder?(the only on I can think of.)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, certainly there are hicups that occur. However, with the engineers at google, they should be able to trouble shoot and/or have hot spares in place to sustain min downtime.

The questions here is the classic delimma. Google is going to run muni-wifi in various cities – can they really give value for a 365 day connectivity --if they can't give connections for a 4hr session, then certianly they need to figure it out before they get into the dark fiber and wifi markerts

Sidebar : I am posting with good wifi connections on meshcon-06 in toronto happening at MaRS center :)-

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

But Google won't be building these networks themselves, The have partners in the wifi market. Including the one for mountain view and beyond. It's a joint project.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, to be fair, they probably had to create a separate network for all the reporters so they weren't on the intranet. They had to get all the routing for that set up, probably, and also they would need enough wireless access points for all the reporters. It wasn't as simple as just plug in an AirPort.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it might show a certain level of disorganization at a different level (Ipeople doing SF WiFi might not be the same that do Press Day WfFi!), but probably nothing really meaningful in relation to their larger WiFi plans. Still noteworthy...

james [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Uh, give me a break. They knew this press day was coming ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE.

They knew they needed wifi for the reporters. They even mentioned it in their press invite.

You dont think a company with 10 billion dollars in the bank could have maybe bought a DSL line just for the conference hall and bought a couple of 100 dollar wifi routers? That way it wouldn't be on the corporate intranet.

No- they just fucked up. Badly. There's really no excuse, especially with 5000 PHDs in the house.

joetke [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm amazed that ordinary individuals dare compare a complex wifi structure and what it supposes as special issues to overcome, with their tiny, no, their minuscule home network. Please don't bother us with such kid's "reflexion", go ahead, do NOT regress...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!