Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Searching for Suicide  (View post)

teodora [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, June 4, 2006
18 years ago5,137 views

When jumping from a building there's a risk of becoming crippled. But the "risk factors" means that there are statistically prooved risk factors in which people are more likely to commit suicide than others. E.g. being middle aged, male, having previous attemts, living alone, recent trauma, depression etc.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Don't do it, Philipp :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> the "risk factors" means that there are statistically
> prooved risk factors in which people are more likely to
> commit suicide than others

Ah, I see.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Can I joke about this?

Anyone seen the "Las Vegas" episode in which one guest wanted jump down from the roof. The hero (called Dani) asked if he wants to hurt other people. So that might be a risk, jumping down from somewhere and hurt others.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This post makes me sad.

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

Having one's GMail account deleted... that would be a risk factor for suicide!

18 years ago #

I corrected the post with Teodora's info.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

So what's Teatment for suicide?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Could this type of thing be the flaw to the methodical approach that Google has to use for its products / features to scale?

{ prooved => proved. }

teodora [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

'proved' – thanks, i felt sg was wrong with that word :)

John [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Why are you searching for suicide? :-)

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Obviously he's depressed about book sales...It's ok Phillip...I swear I'll buy it...just let me pay these bills...and get a bigger hd and find a girl and then I'll get to it...seriously I promise...ok! Just hang in there...it'll be all right.....

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

As from the eHealth perspective, there is a lot of experimental online proof where people got saved from committing suicide.
Experimental studies were done in Israel, Russia, Japan, USA. Some people even wrote online letter about their next action or move, so I do not see it weired at all to have this Risk Factor link there and later on Have next to this link a Call TO Help or click to call.

You never know, Google Can actually save a lot of people from suicide by just adding a simple Call for Help.

18 years ago #

On a side-note, I already told Justin, I consider the book a success already no matter how many books I sell. It was/ is a lot of fun. :)

18 years ago #

Update: I can't see this co-op result anymore for the query "suicide." Did Google adjust this?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!