Google Blogoscoped

Forum

More Clues on Google TV?  (View post)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 7, 2006
18 years ago5,862 views

Wow, this sounds like real SF. If that becomes true that's a little bit more innovative than just launching spreadsheets... (Although the latter is also much appreciated.)

a.ndy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yeah, right, and let Google listen in to all the conversations we're having in the room and provide "relevant ads"..Or provide hair-care product infos by means of your webcam for that matter. Maybe we're not yet fully aware of what "All the world's information" really implies ...

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My laptop/computer has no mic, just a line in.

And seriously, that will be a requirement, a hardware one. And if the world (or the web) goes torward a web OS, shouldn't we really care about hardware anymore?
This tye of service would be really surprising if it really comes from Google.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

what happens if they have plan like a $200/box like an GoogleCube , which works of IPTV and Wifi ??

Wont this be an emgernet market ?? Secondly, Ad time via TV is still a big chunk of business which is traditionally controlled by the CNN, BBC, ABC of the world.. if they can snap thru that line of control with a value prop, then they change the landscape..

Chris Riley [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

"Yeah, right, and let Google listen in to all the conversations we're having in the room"

This isn't so, they make provisions for this, they don't send any raw audio through to Google, simple a really computed audio fingerprint. Read the paper, it gives much more info on how they are trying hard NOT to overhear converstations, simply for the very reason of privacy.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I agree with Chris.

The paper clearly give a clear and precise POC. Privacy will not be the issue here.

Josiah Sprague [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sounds impractical to me. First, that's a huge load on Google's side to provide such services. (Although, I guess Google has a reputation for handling huge loads) Second, that is too much effort for someone to set up. If I wanted relevant info about what I'm watching, I would type it in or search listings, not set up a microphone. Many people dont even have a microphone, and there are many sounds other than the TV in most people's homes. My TV is hardly even close enough to the computer for the MIC to pick up.

Chris Riley [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Again, I hope you've read the paper before posting that. They talk about this actually being quite feasible. They envisage it mainly with people using laptops whilst watching TV. Most modern laptops have a built in microphone, are sat near the TV as they are watching it, and they've addressed background noice etc.

What's to setup, download the client, open up a browser and click a button on the toolbar saying, I'm watching TV! No typing necessary, ever, they are keen to stress that its about responding to what you are watching.

Finally they explained that using the statistical audio fingerprinting means that they can get a years worth of broadcast data into a few GBs for searching against, nothing in Google terms.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

how strange.. .Slashdot just posted on the same subject!!

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/06/10/1329227.shtml

Is Slashdot being useless in terms of information culls ??

I always "used" to use Slashdot as a good information source, but as of lately, they are not cutting quaility and first hand information .. is this only me or others having that issue too ??

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The last times I checked – a couple of Google-related stories – the Slashdot frontpage was way behind the Digg frontpage in terms of freshness (around 12 hours+).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

./ wasn't about freshness, but high quality. I especially like their comments. Very insightful.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Then what we need is the Slashdot comments crowd moving to Digg, and we get the best of both worlds :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Those people are too smart for Digg. They'll be modded down by the 13 years kids on Digg.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!