Google Blogoscoped

Forum

World Cup 2006

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 8, 2006
18 years ago2,727 views

I know that this blog and forum has visitors and regular posters from all over the world. I wondered if anyone is going to any of the games in Germany this year and who everyone is supporting.

I know in the US football is not the biggest of sports. But just about everywhere else it wins hands down. It starts tomorrow.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

{ P.S. Just realised this might be a taboo on here. The official world cup site is sponsored by Yahoo. http://fifa worldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/ }

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'll watch all the games of the German team of course, and others as I see them (especially Brazil), and we also have a stadium in this city (Stuttgart). There will be gigantic FIFA screens showing the games on the market places of larger cities in Germany, like here. It'll be a lot of fun! Friday 18:00 is the big opening of Germany against Costa Rica. Too bad our team leader Ballack is slightly injured and had to cancel his recent trainings!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, are you cruising with Germany as semi final entry??

yeah yeah..this is the remaining 20% time to chat about "other" stuff too :)-

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I love World Cup 2006

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

im not going to see the finals.. it costs too much..
the Israeli government said that to see the game (via T.V.) we'll have to say goodbye to 65$.

anyone else is paying for this? (you know the pay per view system)

but i think that The Netherlands will win this tournament! not Brazil not England, not Italy, and not Iran :P

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

As the Red Devils didn't make the World Cup, I don't look ;-)

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

David, here in spain, footbal it's considered of "general interest" so things like the final, semifinals and the spanish selection games are always free (on TV of course).

Anyway I don't really like footbal, but one of the guys that lives with me is really a footbal-fan so I'm probably going to see a lot of games :(

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

lol.. :)
yeah the Israeli government said that we would be able to watch 12 games for free..
probably the finals, semifinals and more..

a month ago, if you wanted to watch the World Cup games, you should have pay 100$ (which is quite a lot!) and no free games at all!
after the games provider see that no one is buying the games somehow it got to 65$ and 12 games for free.
the Israelis knows how to handle these kind of problems! :) (especially World Cup) ;)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm not really that into football myself – although I'll be supporting England (of course) and Ukraine (as I got them in the office sweepstake).

> I wondered if anyone is going to any of the games in Germany this year...

BTW – if you are travelling to Germany (or just want to communicate with the opposition if their own language) you might find these professional translations of essential football-related phrases useful:

http://www.click2translate.com/worldcup2006/

[ Disclaimer: I work for Click2Translate ... ;-)]

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

# Ein großes, ich muss meine Sorgen ertränken.
# Que sea grande; tengo que ahogar mis penas.
# Grande, estou afogando as mágoas!
# Make it a large one; I'm drowning my sorrows.
# Mettez la dose, je bois pour oublier la défaite.
# Abbondante prego. Ho bisogno di dimenticare...
# Que sea una grande; quiero olvidar mis penas.
# Doe maar een grote. Ik ben mijn verdriet aan het verdrinken.
# Pode ser uma caneca; vou afogar as mágoas.
# Que sea una grande, que necesito ahogar las penas.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The games are airing for free in bigger cities in the marketplace. And in every second bar. And of course if you have a TV (which costs a bit every month) you'll get them, 3 German channels (2 tax-financed channels, 1 cable channels) will split up the games amongst themselves.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

News > Google & FIFA World Cup, live in google IG
http://www.zorgloob.com/2006/06/coupe-du-monde-de-football-sur-google.asp
(French but you should understand that I talk about the link at the bottom of the Google IG page ;-])

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!