Google Blogoscoped

Forum

EBay Guy Trashes Google Checkout, Then Deletes Post  (View post)

Residente [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, June 29, 2006
18 years ago5,595 views

My understanding is that Google Checkout and GBuy are two completely different things; one of which has yet to be released. Checkout seems to be limited to a simple payment processor whereas GBuy would be a more complete solution like PayPal.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Residente, I think Google Checkout could easily "morph" to include what you're calling "GBuy" (just as Google Puchases has morphed into Google Checkout) but I doubt they'll release an entirely new service.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Whether or not Checkout is GBuy, note this comment by Aaron:

<<It's weird how it says "GBuy" everywhere, from the javascript code to how the people have coded their sites. Starbucks uses a gbuycart.php file, and GNC said this in one purchase I was testing.>>
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/42115.html#id42216

But you're right Checkout isn't a full Google Wallet thing yet, and no real PayPal contender.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't help but think the retracted post was quite intentional, to help make it spread through the internet. The fact that it was retracted makes it big news.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

We may all have paypal accounts, but I only ever use mine for Ebay. I've never seen any store where I can check out with my paypal account (maybe i'm just not looking hard enough). I think the biggest thing Google's got going for them is the adwords tie in. Companies will do nearly anything to get thier ads to be more noticable.

18 years ago #

I've paid in dozens of stores with my PayPal account... I always prefer that than to hand out my credit card. A lot of stores support it actually.
On the other hand, I don't have an eBay account :)

Ben Harbour [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think that Gbuy will have a lot of support, paypal’s reputation is falling and sellers are angry at paypal’s treatment of them. As they have been known to randomly freeze accounts with no reason or warning destroying many people primary or secondary source of income. If you vist www.paypalsucks.com you will see more about what I mean. this is a high traffic site. As google has introduced google base once out of beta this will be a platform similar to eBay in which its free to auction and sell items as buy it now. They seem to be moving into eBays markets by offering competitive services at no costs due to the text ads they can display to more traffic. (Keeping in mind a 3rd of Internet traffic goes to eBay this is a good move for them)

18 years ago #

My PayPal account has been frozen twice for no reason, but it was resolved after I sent in a fax with copies of my passport and such. Let's see how well Google compares...

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

actually Philipp, I think the revolutionary aspect depends on the angle from which you are viewing it. You are just looking at it as a way to make payments online. Google is looking at it as a quick tie from search results to making a purchase ...something revolutionary for Google's search engine, but perhaps not the internet. In other words, it's a revolutionary step in Google's own evolution.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Valleywag posted the story here: www.valleywag.com

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I must say that since the whole google.cn thing Philipp seems to be more negative about google. Or am I wrong?

This blog is still very objective, and that is certainly a great accomplishment!

Ontopic: I certainly think Google Checkout could have been much more then it is now. It doesn't really seem like a service for consumers. I miss:
   – Micro payments (one credit card transaction for multiple payments)
   – Gmail Money (send money via email)
   – Non-us sellers/buyers
   – More payment methods (wire transfer, paypal ;)
   – Adsense integration (payout adsense profit via google checkout which enables smaller payments)
   – No transaction fees for opensource donations

See also: http://www.seweso.com/blog/2005/12/google-predictions.php#9

Ooh and I send in some suggestions and got a reply immediately.

I guess Google Checkout just isn't a Google Wallet which it should be. Google Wallet could be a platform which circumvents the credit-card company's, now thát would be smart. Or is that a problem because google would then become a bank?

Bla

18 years ago #

> I must say that since the whole google.cn
> thing Philipp seems to be more negative about
> google. Or am I wrong?

Innocent until proven guilty. I saw them kick sites out of their index which fight for human rights, and I saw them remove help entries behind the scenes (Google.cn self-censorship, which ironically you can defend on a couple of outside standards, it's just that Google's self-proclaimed standards totally fail on this). I saw them pretend they were the first to find solutions to previously unsolved problems, even when there were competitors around already or they simply bought the company (Google Maps/ Marissa Mayer, now Google Checkout video ad). I saw them apply different standards to other companies than they do for their own (Marissa Mayer IE7/ MSN lock-in debate). I saw them releasing critical products which then didn't scale, even taking other sites down with them (Google Analytics, the "launch day syndrome").

Naturally, all that shapes our predictions and assumptions which we'll always formulate when there's a lack of data. So, the "likely possibilities space" grew larger with every new territory Google claimed. For example, when Google would tell us "this is the exact blacklist of domains we agreed to censor in China," then this would create about 50 assumptions less on this blog. Now, I've asked Google for this list, and they will not hand it out. So that's when we start to explore the "possibilities space," probing Google, but by then only judging it by its actions and not by its words (e.g. their words are that they don't censor results for "bird flu", their actions are the opposite).

So, Google can still do good, or bad, or screw up on launch day, or not, or try to spin us, or not... there's still all those options. We're still seeing a *lot* of cool things coming out of Google (actually released in higher speed than ever). But based on experience, we can argue that the probability of some of those options just grew much larger in the course of the last year... that "likely possibilities space" we explore whenever we don't see the full picture. E.g. the possibility space of "don't be evil" is *much* smaller than the possibility space of "don't be evil unless it's a little evil for a potentially greater good".

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Has anyone even noticed that Google stole the flash video idea from PayPal? There's nowhere else on Google that shows flash as a "tutorial." But all of a sudden they pick it up? Hmm...could it be that they got the idea from PayPal? Checkout www.paypal.com/pro, click on "See Demo" and see for yourself.

Google has yet to come up with an original idea that makes money since adsense. Including Google Checkout.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Adwords already had such video's, it is probably the way the google-adwords-team works. And google checkout is propably also a product from the adwords team.

But maybe I am making to much excuses for google... *-) But I too try to remain rational and objective :D or am I still in love? ;)

Fred Van Messen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Btw, PayPal already offers a mobile payment solution.

"Buy it when you see it. Where you see Text to Buy – on a poster, in a magazine, at an event – just order the item securely by text message."

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/mobile/MobileOverview-outside

Bloke [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Blah blah blah ... the masses yap, meanwhile google rakes in millions ...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!