Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Logoworks: World@Home  (View post)

pk_synths [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, July 6, 2006
18 years ago7,989 views

I like #2 from a web 2.0 percpective but from a professional corporate percpective I like #4 the most.

I won't even ask what #3 is supposed to represent but doesn't seem very inviting. Reminds me of a house being hit by lightning...... :B

-PK

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like #2 the best also.

18 years ago #

#3 and 5 are the ones I like the least.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

my top
1. 5 – elegant, inspires sobriety
2. 1 – simple yet effective
3. 2 – fresh but unclear and confusing
4. 3 – little connection with the theme
5. 4 – ugly, childish

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'd like 4 if it weren't for the font. 3 is nice-looking, but doesn't get the meaning across. 1's probably the best of this group.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

2, and it's not even close.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like the first two; the last three are too sterile.

Andrea Baron [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I like very much #4, it gives the idea of participate very well.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like #2, though #5 gives the most serious look. Depends whether you're going for a more people-friendly or corporate-friendly look.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like --1, 2 and 5 in that order of prefrence :)-

Leszek [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I have to go against popular opinion and say that I really don't like #2 – the dynamics of it make it look like the disabled bloke just got pushed down a hill

Domisto [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1)In the world of logos, one must go with the logo which stands out the most. #2 is much more distinctive than the others.

2)However, where is "Enabling Disabled People Worldwide to Participate" on all the other logos other than #1. It needs to go somewhere.

3) Technology is nowhere to be found in any of these other than cryptic #1. How about adding some cables as latitude or longitude lines to #2 or adding something that evokes the idea of orbits but it a cursor/computer/something tech-y. How bout an @ symbol somehow incorporated into the globe?

4) #2 Does well with conjuring the image of the wheelchair but not being a slave to it. Disability is an aspect of the design but not a slave to it like #1.

(5)The W/H thing is cool for #2 although it resembles a flipped Sony Walkman logo almost too much. I still think it is the best logo though.)

In Conclusion!) #2 strikes the best balance of functional design and creativity. With a more concrete technology reference, it has the possibility to be an outstanding logo.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's number 2 that must be taken forward. To be honest, I think that's the only one with true potential. The tweaks that can be made should include the following:

* a less "squeezed" look, but more smooth, and each individual object following the same directions. (hard to explain) – just neaten up the edges of the lines in the logo
   * text needs work. vary the size – make "world" and "home" bigger, and test out different positions. not keen on the font, either.

I hope that helps! I'm also not trying to be arrogant, as I am only just learning myself (no professional, yet!).

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I really like #5! I wouldn't remember the other logos for a long time if I saw them just once, but I'd remember #5! I really like how simple, clean and bold it looks.

#2 is my second choice, but I really hate the bland font colours. Also, it's hard to tell what the green person is sitting on – is it a plain chair or a wheelchair? (Does it matter what he/she's sitting on?)

=O)

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

I'll go with # 5.

Philipp, my two cents – why don't you put a dPoll in here for this? Might get more voting in, easier to tally too...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe for the next round, I do have a poll module for this blog...

easterangel [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wow these are great logos for World[put at-character here]Home. Thanks to Philip and to LogoWorks.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think I agree with most of you and find two the most appealing by far. however Jenny had a great point! that was the only one that just stuck in my head too. Had to go back and look at all the others.

Many of you are saying that 4&5 have a much more corporate feel, and I think you are right too, but I think that is because the large companies are generally much older and have more outdated logos.

I think 1 looks great, but is sooo much more bland conceptually.

If you go with number two, make sure they develop a "Flat" version because there are times when you may need to use it in press that gradients just will not fly. Also, it can be handy to have a horizontal version and a vertical version.
Examples
My Standard Logo in vertical version :
http://www.newcovsoft.com/travistest/NCS_3d_logo_vert.jpg
My Flat Logo in Horizontal version:
http://newcovsoft.com/v5/images/invoice_logo.gif

Lastly, make sure you get all the source files! you may find yourself in a tight place later on if you do not!

18 years ago #

wow... blog's scaling really made that second one look bad! Make sure to click to see it!

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Um, I got bored so I made new logos based on the logos that Logoworks made (sounds like a tongue twister!) and here they are! ... heh.. heh.. heh... (I hope they don't mind that I played around with them. If they do mind, I'm sorry and I'll remove them.)

I cut out the "globe" from logo #5 (my favourite logo) and pasted the "wheelchair" icons because, in my opinion, the globe doesn't indicate that the World[put at-character here]Home organization is for the disabled. The "wheelchair" logo from logo #2 kind of represents the "world" I think since blue = oceans, green = earth?!? =O)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/29/97651/logologo3.png

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/29/97651/logologo2.png

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/29/97651/logologo.png

Travis Harris: I like your vertical logo. Looks like four water drops stuck together. Cute.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Definitely n° 2 because it's good design and most of all it looks simple. The others are far too complex.

I agree with Travis that you need a flat version, but I think you need also a grey scaled version for your black & white paper work (or am I the only one who still prints black & white?)

18 years ago #

Art-One, you are 100% right. (for example printing letter head on a B&W Laser printer) However, our flat logo converts beautifully at time of printing so we have not had an issue at all with that.

Niklas Nikolaidis [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Number 2, no doubt.

18 years ago #

I like the following logos for Work[put at-character here]Home

But I also like the changes made by Jenny in the very first modified logo.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/29/97651/logologo3.png

18 years ago #

Easterangel, can you nominate your top favorite of the existing logos, and then describe possible refinements for the designer? I will forward your comments to Logoworks. You can only nominate a single one, but I don't think they'll mind if you mix and mash the logo concepts after they're finished with revisions.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like numbers 2 and 3. 2 probably has the edge for me though.

18 years ago #

The winner for me is #2.

As for refinements, putting it under a home just like what Jenny did would be a good start.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like #2 because it's "remarkable" You'll never forget that logo, and it makes you stare at it for a second

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

"But I also like the changes made by Jenny in the very first modified logo."

Cool beans!!! =O)

Luis Brudna [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

# 2.
:-)

Tomasz Tybulewicz [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Number 2 – it's just the best!

18 years ago #

The revisions are in:

http://blogoscoped.com/files/world-home-logos/revision2.jpg
Designer's note: "Tagline, roof, text from extra comp. #1. added."

http://blogoscoped.com/files/world-home-logos/revision3.jpg
Designer's note: "The roofline from your original comp. did not have the same look or feeling, so I created this roofline to tie it in better."

http://blogoscoped.com/files/world-home-logos/revision4.jpg
Designer's note: "This is your original icon inside of a transparent globe."

http://blogoscoped.com/files/world-home-logos/revision5.jpg
Designer's note: "In my professional opinion, this icon is very strong as is. One common misunderstanding is that your logo must represent everything you do. Companies such as Nike and Tommy Hilfiger have very memorable icons that are simple and say nothing about their company. This icon already capitlizes on the global and disabled aspects of your company."

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, number 5 does work quite well, even without changes to the icon.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

#5, but the text "Enabling disabled..." is too small.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Indeed n° 5 is the best.

iZeitgeist [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

#4 is PERFECT!!

18 years ago #

> #5, but the text "Enabling disabled..." is
> too small.

I think the size can be ignored, I'm almost sure once you take a final pick you'll get the file in hi-res resolution...

18 years ago #

I love #5, 3, and 4. In that order. :-)

18 years ago #

#5 is perfect. I like this logo. :)

18 years ago #

Thanks, your final artwork is on its way soon!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!